Taurine, an organic compound that blankets the tissues of your body, may be the next best thing for endurance athletes. A recent meta-analysis went over the ifs, whens, and benefits of taurine supplementation – and taught us something we suspected but weren’t 100% confident in.
In this article, we’ll give you the skinny on everything you need to know about taurine, and why it’s no longer just a “filler” amino acid… it’s better than we thought!
…and no, this is not extract from bulls, despite urban legend.
Taurine — What is this stuff?
If you have a background in the biological sciences, the word “taurine” has popped up before. And if you drink energy drinks or take pre workout supplements, you’ve definitely seen it on your can or on your tub’s label.
However, you may not know what it does. Taurine is an organic acid that acts as an intermediate in complex procedures throughout the body. Think of it as a “chemical middleman” in processes like bile formation, osmoregulation, and even calcium signaling.
Beyond its status as a middleman, taurine may directly impact the body. In the last few years, it’s become famous for its potency as an anti-diabetic ingredient. It may help ease joint pain associated with diabetes and even has protective effects on organs heavily damaged by diabetes.
An Endurance Holy Grail?
Taurine, while typically dosed from 500mg-2g a day, has been shown in at least ten studies to improve endurance in athletic populations when dosed anywhere from 1-6g a day! These studies were recently compiled into a meta-analysis (for those that missed our previous research dives, a meta-analysis is basically a statistical summary of quality research available on a certain topic).
The best part of this meta-analysis is that no outside funding influenced the research team. In other words? We don’t have to worry about bias very much here. The researchers of this analysis were also very thorough, funneling 3431 articles down to just under ten.
What Did They Find from the quality taurine studies?
The research team behind this paper simply concluded that taurine supplementation improves athletic endurance. The effect is even more profound in “TTE” trials, which is where an exercise done to exhaustion.
They also found that taurine is an effective supplement when taken alone. For many years, taurine research had a flaw: most participants dosed caffeine alongside taurine. After all, it’s always in those energy drinks and pre workouts! But as the studies compiled in this analysis focused on isolated taurine use, it’s now safe to assume that taurine is effective without caffeine.
The researchers even postulated that taurine may be the reason that energy drinks seem to act as an ergogenic agent![3,5]
Taurine is a unique ingredient in its dosing. The meta-analysis found that larger doses of the ingredient didn’t improve endurance any more than much smaller doses. As there is some concern regarding huge doses of taurine over time, this is a welcome finding. Just try to keep your daily dose at 3g or less and you should be more than okay.
The best part of low doses being as effective as high doses? You save money. Since we are PricePlow, you know we’re fans of this data!
Lower dose = no toxicity concerns
In addition, the tiny risk associated with taurine supplementation may be a thing of the past, as no adverse events occurred in any of the individual studies summarized in the meta analysis. Realize that many of those other studies had confounds involved, such as stimulants. But with the solo taurine studies analyzed here with reasonable doses, there were no issues!
Acute vs. Chronic: It works nearly immediately!
The meta-analysis also uncovered something particularly interesting regarding dosing of taurine. It doesn’t really matter how often you take it! Supplements like creatine or beta-alanine are more effective over time (chronic supplementation). With taurine, you can dose it right before a workout (acute supplementation) and experience benefits.
This is awesome for people that do endurance work occasionally. Better yet? One less thing you have to take every day – just throw it in the pre workout!
Conclusion and Reservations
So it turns out those energy drinks were on to something – this is more than just a cool sounding name on a can.
When a paper comes out like this, ingredients sometimes explode in popularity. The authors of the paper attributed the benefits of taurine to several biological processes. As the research is still murky on the why of taurine supplementation, we stick to the practical aspects of the acid.
In the coming years, we’d like to see an analysis that covers more papers, just in case these researchers were too picky. Ten studies is still not enough to say 100% for sure that taurine is a miracle supplement.
It’s also important to realize that the benefits taurine offers are relatively small, just like creatine, compared to certain banned substances. However, for upper level athletes, a small increase in performance may be all they need to top their opposition.
NutraBio Taurine - Deals and Price Drop Alerts
Get Price Alerts
No spam, no scams.
Posts are sponsored in part by the retailers and/or brands listed on this page.
All PricePlow blog posts mentioning Taurine:
- BAIBA: New Weight Loss Ingredient Generates Exercise in a Pill?! Posted on: November 13, 2019
- THE Amino Energy: Myprotein Joins PricePlow with a Well-Crafted Energy Amino Posted on: October 11, 2019
- Pitbull Labs XXX Pre Workout Marks a Strong Return to the Scene Posted on: October 9, 2019
- Alpha Lion GAIN-O-RADE: Aminos and Hydration for Gains! Posted on: September 30, 2019
- Alpha Lion SuperHuman SUPREME: Ultra-Strong Pre Now Here to Stay! Posted on: September 23, 2019
- Nutrex Outlift Gets Cultural with Italian Ice! Posted on: September 16, 2019
- The Kaged Muscle PIP Stack - Pre/Intra/Post Workout Obliteration! Posted on: August 29, 2019
- Mega Pre RED: Primeval Revamps Their Stim-Based Pre-Workout! Posted on: July 24, 2019
- Nutrex Outlift Natural: All-Natural Pre-Workout Powerhouse Posted on: July 9, 2019
- Alpha Lion Blasts SuperHuman Supreme FREEDOM JUICE for the 4th! Posted on: July 3, 2019
- Cutler Nutrition Prevail / Amplify Pre Workout Stack - For Legends Only! Posted on: July 2, 2019
- Ghost Amino V2 Improves the EAA Innovation for Ghostly Gains! Posted on: June 24, 2019
- Nutrex Research Outlift Gummy Bear Flavor is Here! Posted on: June 21, 2019
- Alpha Lion SuperHuman Gets a Super Upgrade with S7 Posted on: May 2, 2019
- NutraBio Drops a Strawberry Lemon Bomb on all Sports Supplements Posted on: April 6, 2019
- Axe & Sledge DEMO DAY: Workout Carbs to Construct Your Body Posted on: April 5, 2019
- Axe & Sledge HYDRAULIC: Seth Feroce Fires Up the Pumps Posted on: March 25, 2019
- Controlled Labs White Warped Pre Workout: Great Value and Better Flavors Posted on: March 19, 2019
- Primeval Labs Intracell 7 Black Re-Ups Workout Performance Posted on: March 11, 2019
- NutraBio EAA Natural: Essential Amino Acids without Sucralose! Posted on: February 25, 2019
- NutraBio Alpha EAA: Nootropic-Powered Amino Workout Supplement Posted on: February 15, 2019
- EndurElite PerformElite X: The ULTIMATE Endurance Supplement! Posted on: February 13, 2019
- Best BCAA Supplement Buyers Guide with 2019's Top 10 Posted on: January 27, 2019
- Nutrex Outlift Blood Orange Brings in the New Year Posted on: January 1, 2019
- Redcon1 Ends the Year of the RTD by Declaring Total War (in a Can)! Posted on: December 31, 2018
- Olympus Labs Ar1macare Pro: The On-Cycle Protection You're Missing Posted on: November 20, 2018
- The Outbreak FPS Gaming Supplement Brings REAL Blood Flow to Gamers Posted on: October 31, 2018
- Olympus Labs BloodShr3d Black Magic Brings Fiery Heat and Stims Posted on: October 26, 2018
- SNS Focus XT: The Go-To Energy Nootropic Supplement Base.. Now in Candy Corn! Posted on: October 16, 2018
- NutraBio EAA Energy Unveiled: A New Bar Set for Amino Energy Supplements Posted on: September 10, 2018
- HB Nutraceuticals Healthy Blend: Go-To Pre Workout with 5g Creatine Posted on: August 6, 2018
- CNS Labgrade: Low-Caffeine Yet ULTRA-High-Octane Pre Workout Posted on: July 27, 2018
- Vaxxen Labs Keto-1: The Supercharged BHB Energy Drink! Posted on: June 20, 2018
- Ghost Pump is Here, and it's VICIOUS. Posted on: June 14, 2018
- Acropolis Nutrition Offers a PRE Historic Pump - Naturally! Posted on: June 4, 2018
- Vaxxen Labs Fulcrum: A Strong Stimulant-Centered Pre Workout Posted on: May 29, 2018
- 5% Nutrition's Kill It RELOADED Does Rich Piana Proud Posted on: May 9, 2018
- Dedicated Nutrition BCAA Sensation: The Right Way to BCAA Posted on: May 8, 2018
- Cellucor C4 ULTIMATE On the Go Pre Workout Cans Revealed! Posted on: April 29, 2018
- RedCon1 TOTAL WAR 2018: The International Wave of Warfare is Here Posted on: April 27, 2018
- Beast Mode Black Brings Strong Stims, Yohimbe Dose Disclosed! Posted on: April 12, 2018
- Cellucor Alpha Amino Ultimate adds HMB to Your Sports Drink Posted on: March 29, 2018
- NutraBio Natural Series Intra Blast: The Best EAA Gets Better Posted on: March 27, 2018
- TAURINE Turns Out to Be Terrific for Tenacity (New Meta-Analysis!) Posted on: March 23, 2018
- NutraBio Natural Series PRE: Finally, A Great-Tasting Stevia Pre Workout! Posted on: March 14, 2018
- NutraBio PRE Extreme V5: A Serious Carb-Enhanced Pre Workout Posted on: February 22, 2018
- NutraBio PRE: Our Top-Rated Pre Workout Supplement Posted on: February 12, 2018
- Sparta Nutrition Keto Pre Extreme: Ketogenic Pre Workout Fuel Posted on: January 31, 2018
- The Pitbull Labs Pre Workout: Energy and Focus with Bite Posted on: January 22, 2018
- Primeval Labs Intracell 7 Now with EAAs! Posted on: January 8, 2018
- Northbound's All-Natural Blend: A Stevia-Sweetened Nootropic Posted on: October 6, 2017
- iSatori Morph Xtreme Brings Energy & PUMPS to iSatori Pre Workouts! Posted on: September 28, 2017
- MTS Ruckus 2017: Lobliner's High-Stim Pre Workout Got HIGHER Posted on: September 13, 2017
- EVL BCAA Lean Energy: Energy Aminos for Dieters Posted on: August 17, 2017
- The Ape SH*T Pre Workout -- Go APE on the Weights! Posted on: July 27, 2017
- Inspired Nutraceuticals ENDLESS: Now THIS is a Sports Drink Posted on: July 25, 2017
- Dymatize Pre W.O. -- A Mainstream Pre Workout that DELIVERS! Posted on: June 28, 2017
- RedCon1 BREACH: Combat-Ready BCAA Supplement Posted on: June 22, 2017
- Apollon Nutrition Enigma - Full Blown Recovery Supplement Posted on: June 20, 2017
- EVL BCAA Energy: The Best Fruit Punch EVER? Posted on: May 11, 2017
- PreSeries LEAN by Transparent Labs: When to Use Lean vs BULK? Posted on: April 25, 2017
- MaxQ Nutrition Intra-Workout: Loaded Intra with 10g BCAA! Posted on: April 11, 2017
- EVL RecoverMode - Enhanced Recovery Posted on: March 20, 2017
- DVST8 CRIMSON Pre Workout: Inspired Gets Streamlined Posted on: March 17, 2017
- Genius PRE Workout: Train Smarter AND Harder Posted on: March 8, 2017
- Ghost Legend: The Pre Workout Supplement for Legends Posted on: February 23, 2017
- Primeval Labs BIOS3 Xanix - Sweet Slumber Posted on: February 9, 2017
- Nutrex Outlift RTD: Finally a Clinically-Dosed Pre Workout RTD! Posted on: February 6, 2017
- VMI Sports K-XR: High Energy High-Stim Pre Workout Posted on: January 19, 2017
- Repp Sports ReactR: Go Nuclear on your Workouts! Posted on: December 28, 2016
- C4 Ultimate: Cellucor's Pinnacle Pre Workout! Posted on: December 13, 2016
- Jim Stoppani Sued AGAIN. New Class Action Lawsuit Posted on: November 26, 2016
- ANS RAVE: Energy For Lifters, Gamers, and Hard Workers! Posted on: September 28, 2016
- Northbound Nutrition BCAA2: Heavy-Dosed Aminos for the Win Posted on: September 27, 2016
- Northbound Nutrition BLEND - Cognitive Energy & Endurance Posted on: September 6, 2016
- Gaspari Hyper Amino: Low-Cost Energy Aminos that Kick! Posted on: August 19, 2016
- Nutrex PostLift: Loaded Post-Workout Carbs & More! Posted on: July 12, 2016
- Proccor Ultra Octane - Pumps, Performance, and Recovery Posted on: June 20, 2016
- MusclePharm Deal Finally TERMINATED by Arnold Schwarzenegger Posted on: May 9, 2016
- Olympus Labs ENDUR3 (Discontinued, Get it Before it's Too Late) Posted on: April 6, 2016
- Rich Piana's Full As F*ck - Ridiculous Pump Pre Workout Posted on: March 17, 2016
- Muscle Elements PreCre XS: Energy Upgraded! Posted on: January 21, 2016
- PreSeries BULK - $49 Pre Workout Has Industry Abuzz... Posted on: January 14, 2016
- NutraBio Intra Blast: Premium Workout Fuel Beyond BCAAs Posted on: December 21, 2015
- Rich Piana's 5150 Pre Workout: Involuntary Psychiatric Hold Posted on: December 17, 2015
- Gnar Pump: Broscience's Hilarious(ly underdosed) Pre Workout Posted on: December 1, 2015
- MuscleTech Amino Build Next Gen Energized: 4g BCAA, 50mg Caffeine Posted on: October 22, 2015
- APS Mesomorph: Powerhouse Pre Workout Reformulated Posted on: October 6, 2015
- MuscleSport Rhino Black - High Energy & Pump Pre Workout Posted on: September 23, 2015
- Labrada Super Charge: New 2015 Version! Posted on: August 28, 2015
- Muscle Elements AmiNO Flow: THE Weight Lifter's BCAA Posted on: August 10, 2015
- Kaged Muscle Pre-Kaged: Kris Gethin's Monster Pre Workout! Posted on: July 20, 2015
- MTS Vasky - The Machine's Pump Product Posted on: April 21, 2015
- ONWARD by Run Everything Labs: Flag Nor Fail's Health Supplement Posted on: April 3, 2015
- Rich Piana Crea-TEN: TEN Kinds of Creatine! WAAAT! Posted on: March 20, 2015
- Maximum Shred SCAM - $87 Product with $4 of Ingredients Posted on: February 24, 2015
- Rich Piana 5% KILL IT Pre Workout - Does it Kill? Posted on: February 18, 2015
- Amino HP - ANS Performance's Fully-Loaded BCAA Powder Posted on: January 17, 2015
- Amino Acid Spiking Scam: Is Your Protein Really PROTEIN? Posted on: June 4, 2014