Lee Labrada is as synonymous with bodybuilding and supplements as just about any figure in the game today. Last year they launched the disappointing PE-1, which we thought would replace their other extremely popular pre workout offering, Super Charge 4.0 Xtreme.
Apparently old Lee has some more tricks up his sleeve as Super Charge 4.0 stayed around, as did Super Charge Xtreme NO. Labrada has now released the all new Super Charge. It features a smaller profile than its predecessor and promises to increase energy, focus, strength, recovery, and most important of all, PUMPS!
So now we have the following pages on PricePlow:
What’s in the new formula and should you consider adding it to your cabinet of pre workouts? Our first impression is this: the new Super Charge is “Cellucor C4 Extreme done right“.
Find out below as we look into the label, but first, take a second to check the best deal and sign up for PricePlow alerts:
Super Charge - Best Deals and Price Drop Notifications
Get Price Alerts
No spam, no scams.
Super Charge Ingredients
Labrada has done away with the prop blend that comprised their most recent pre workout, PE-1. Here, they follow suit with the the Super Charge line of pre workouts and transparently dose all of the ingredients, so you know exactly how much of each ingredient you’re getting:
NO3T™ Citrulline Nitrate (1g)
loves “the pump” when working out, it’s something every gym bro wants to attain and hold on to for as long as possible. Arginine use to be considered the “it” ingredient in terms of facilitating the pump, but it’s now been replaced by much more effective ingredients.
Citrulline Nitrate is Labrada’s patented pump inducer that’s a 2-in-1 pump aid. Numerous studies show that citrulline increases endurance, nitric oxide levels, and reduces muscle soreness.[1,2,3] It’s also feasible that bonding it with nitrates will increase bioavailability and induce better, longer-lasting pumps.
The inclusion of nitrates adds a second element of boosting pumps. Nitrates are potent vasodilators in the body that increase blood flow to your muscles.[4,5] This increased blood flow translates into bigger, badder, and longer lasting pump! A bonus effect of nitrate use is that it also helps lower blood pressure!
Creapure® Creatine Monohydrate (5g)
A must have for any bodybuilder or athlete, creatine monohydrate is one of the most well-researched and effective supplements anyone can use. It’s list of benefits is long and distinguished, but here’s just a few:
- Increased Power & Strength[7,8]
- Greater Lean Mass Gains[[9,10]
- Reduced Muscle Soreness[11,12]
- Decreased Fatigue
Here, we get the full clinical dose of 5g of creatine, which most pre workouts rarely do. Labara is correcting the ridiculousness that was in PE-1 by giving us the full amount we need to get all the benefits of this powerful ergogenic aid.
To help fuel your workouts and keep that anabolic furnace burning bright, Super Charge uses the research-backed ratio of 2:1:1, which means in each serving, you get 2.5 of leucine, 1.25g of isoleucine, and 1.25mg of valine.
BCAAs provide a numerous benefits for those engaged in extreme workouts, most notably:
- Stimulate Muscle Protein Synthesis
- Boost Fat Loss
- Delay Fatigue
- Prevent Catabolism
CarnoSyn® Beta Alanine (2g)
A proven endurance booster, beta alanine helps buffer lactic acid build up by increasing carnosine levels in your muscle. Supplementing with BA helps eliminate that “burning sensation” you get in the muscle when doing high rep sets, while simultaneously boosting strength, power, and endurance.[18,19]
Take note though that to get the maximum benefit from beta alanine, you want to get 3.2g worth, so may want to add some bulk BA to meet your daily needs.
Taurine is a conditionally essential amino acid, and one of the most abundantly available in the body. It’s found in high concentrations in the brain, heart, and skeletal muscles. Taurine helps with “water-based” pumps due to the fact that it acts as a sponge and draws water into the muscles, which has the added benefit of improved hydration!
If that’s not enough, taurine also boosts mental focus and when taken in conjunction with BCAAs has been shown to reduce muscle soreness.
HydroMax® Glycerol (2g)
HydroMax® is a highly-concentrated form of powdered glycerol (65%). This means it contains 65% glycerol, compared to other pre workouts that use glycerol monostearate (GMS), which is only 25% glycerol and 75% saturated fat!
HydroMax™ has replaced GMS in most of the newer pre workout supplements coming to market and we couldn’t be happier. Much like taurine, it helps drive water into muscle cells which boosts cell volumization and vascularity. The end result being an incredible pump for your muscles and a boost in endurance, as glycerol helps maintain hydration levels.[22,23]
L-Tyrosine is an amino acid that boosts the production of two important neurotransmitters in the body, dopamine and noradrenaline. This will help improve focus and mood during your workouts, while decreasing yourlevel of stress.[24,25]
Typically we prefer to see the more heat-stable, and bioavailable for N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine, but this hefty dose of regular L-Tyrosine is commendable and should boost your focus rather nicely.
For the first part of its stim kick, Super Charge intends to do just that (“charge” you up!) with a healthy 300mg dose of caffeine. This, along with our final ingredient, definitely makes this a one-scooper for the vast majority of users.
Caffeine’s list of benefits are too long to name, but most know that it increases energy, focus, mood, and performance. Next to creatine, it’s one of the most effective and well-researched supplements in the game today.
Note: If you’re sensitive to caffeine, you many only need ½-¾ scoop
Advantra Z® (40mg)
Our final ingredient is the patented Citrus Aurantium bitter orange extract (30% Synephrine), Advantra Z®. Initially it was used for its weight loss boosting ability, but it’s commonly added to pre workouts for its performance enhancing properties as well.
Advantra Z® boosts energy levels while decreasing fatigue and the rate of perceived exertion![26,27,28] On top of its workout boosting qualities, synephrine also induces lipolysis. This allows the body to use fat as a source of energy during your workouts and may help spare muscle glycogen.
Super Charge will come in four different flavors: Fruit Punch, Watermelon, Raspberry Lemonade, and Grape. These are fairly standard flavors compared with newer pre workouts are doing, but when done correctly these “common” flavors can make the difference between a great tasting pre workout and one you have to choke down.
Labrada has certainly crafted a well-dosed pre workout with their latest incarnation of Super Charge. Not only have they included effective doses of all the ergogenics, but they’ve used high quality sources of the ingredients as well, as evident by the inclusion of CreaPure, CarnoSyn, and Advantra Z!
In our opinions, this is basically “Cellucor C4 Extreme done right” – many of the same major ingredients, but in very legit doses. A very solid product for the “masses” who don’t want too many exotic stimulants.
This is a welcome change of course from the debacle that was PE-1 and helps restore some faith in a company who has been in the game a long time and shows no signs of slowing down. How will it perform in an ever-growing market of well-dosed pre workouts?
Only time will tell, but on the outside, this one should at least deserve a shot the next time you’re looking to purchase a pre workout or change up from your regular one, provided the price is right.
End of the day, this is a quality pre workout aimed at the masses who are looking for the next thing past Cellucor C4 Extreme, and we’re thinking it’ll work out pretty well for that demographic. Just might need to start at ¾ scoop.
Super Charge - Best Deals and Price Drop Notifications
Get Price Alerts
No spam, no scams.
Like this Post? We have more on the way…
PricePlow is a price comparison site that asks one simple question: is this worth it?
The honest truth lives here. Follow us on social media below:
- Curis E., et. al; “Citrulline and the gut;”; Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care; September 2007
- Giannesini B., et. al.; European Journal of Pharmacology; “Citrulline malate supplementation increases muscle efficiency in rat skeletal muscle;” September 2011
- Perez-Guisado J, Jakeman PM; Journal of Strength and Conditioning; “Citrulline malate enhances athletic anaerobic performance and relieves muscle soreness;” May 2010
- Cardiology. 1987;74 Suppl 1:12-9.
- Nat Med. 2003 Dec;9(12):1498-505. Epub 2003 Nov 2.
- Nutr J. 2012 Dec 11;11:106. doi: 10.1186/1475-2891-11-106.
- Netreba, A; [Creatine as a metabolic controller of skeletal muscles structure and function in strength exercises in humans].; Ross Fiziol; 2006
- Bemben, M; The effects of supplementation with creatine and protein on muscle strength following a traditional resistance training program in middle-aged and older men.; Neuromuscular Lab, Dept. Health & Exercise Science, U. Oklahoma; 2010
- Chilibeck, P; Effect of creatine ingestion after exercise on muscle thickness in males and females.; College of Kinesiology, University of Saskatchewan; 2004
- Hoffman, J; Effect of creatine and beta-alanine supplementation on performance and endocrine responses in strength/power athletes.; Dept. of Health and Exercise Science, The College of New Jersey; 2006
- Anomasiri, W; Low dose creatine supplementation enhances sprint phase of 400 meters swimming performance.; Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University; 2004
- Effect of short-term creatine supplementation on markers of skeletal muscle damage after strenuous contractile activity.
- The effect of creatine supplementation upon inflammatory and muscle soreness markers after a 30km race.
- Consuming a supplement containing branched-chain amino acids during a resistance-training program increases lean mass, muscle strength and fat loss
- Shimomura Y, et al. Branched-chain amino acid supplementation before squat exercise and delayed-onset muscle soreness. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. (2010)
- Nutraceutical Effects of Branched-Chain Amino Acids on Skeletal Muscle
- Baguet, A et al.; Journal of Applied Physiology; “Important role of muscle carnosine in rowing performance;” July 2010;” 2005
- Hoffmann, E.K., I.H. Lambert, and S.F. Pedersen, Physiology of cell volume regulation in vertebrates. Physiol Rev, 2009. 89(1)
- Alford, C., H. Cox, and R. Wescott, The effects of red bull energy drink on human performance and mood. Amino Acids, 2001. 21(2)
- Glanbia Nutritionals, Inc; HydroMax: a better glycerol for sports nutrition; NewHope360; 2014
- van Rosendal, S; Guidelines for glycerol use in hyperhydration and rehydration associated with exercise.; School of Human Movement Studies, The University of Queensland; 2010
- Wingo, J; Influence of a Pre-Exercise Glycerol Hydration Beverage on Performance and Physiologic Function During Mountain-Bike Races in the Heat; University of Connecticut, Department of Sport, Leisure, & Exercise Science; 2004
- Deijen JB, Orlebeke JF; Effect of tyrosine on cognitive function and blood pressure under stress . Brain Res Bull. (1994)
- Dollins AB, et al; L-tyrosine ameliorates some effects of lower body negative pressure stress . Physiol Behav. (1995)
- Exercise was easier 83% of the time – and no significant adverse events occurred – following use of a performance-enhancing dietary supplement containing Advantra Z. Human Pharmacology of a Performance-Enhancing Dietary Supplement Under Resting and Exercise Conditions – Haller, University of California, San Francisco, British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
- A multi-ingredient supplement containing Advantra Z increased energy production and fat oxidation.
- A multi-ingredient product containing Advantra Z reduced fatigue and curbed appetite in overweight adults without serious adverse events.