Last year, Ghost burst onto the scene like a supernova with a sense of style and swag that we’ve never really encountered in this industry. They had it all, slick packaging, a longtime industry big wig calling the shots, and more than one pretty face to show off the brand – all while keeping it real with open formulas.
Sure, they could easily pass as one of those “all show-no go” brands that we see all the time, but as we saw with Ghost Whey, these guys mean business!
In addition to fully opening up their product labels, Ghost recently revamped their popular pre workout, Legend. The modifications and transparency have significantly elevated the product above its predecessor and make it a top “medium-stim” pre workout you’ll find in the gym.
We’ve got the full breakdown below, but first take a moment to check the best deal and sign up for alerts with PricePlow:
Legend - Best Deals and Price Drop Notifications
Get Price Alerts
No spam, no scams.
Legend recently underwent a bit of an overhaul as Ghost made a resolute commitment to full transparency with the products. Part of the overhaul included some pretty significant changes to the original version of Legend, and ultimately makes for a more effective pre workout.
You want pumps?! This is how you get MONSTER pumps! As we’ve stated numerous times before, if it’s pure pumps you’re after, L-Citrulline is where it’s at. It’s a superior nitric oxide booster compared to L-Arginine due to its improved bioavailability.
4g worth of L-Cit will give you significantly increased vasodilation, blood flow, nutrient delivery, energy production, and performance![2,3]
Dan at Ghost told us that he’s very proud to have gone with straight L-citrulline instead of citrulline malate. The pumps are simply far better, and there’s always just so much malic acid in supplements and you don’t need more from the malate.
The citrulline is where the pumps are at, after all, and that’s why they went with it solo.
CarnoSyn® Beta Alanine (2g)
Beta alanine is a proven endurance-booster across all sorts of sports. It elevates skeletal muscle concentrations of carnosine, a powerful intracellular buffer that stunts lactic acid accumulation.
A recent position paper by the International Society of Sports Nutrition noted that BA is particularly effective for increasing strength, endurance, athletic performance, and fatigue resistance.
A split dose..
Ghost has wisely divided the dose of Legend as research indicates that it’s best to split doses of BA during the day to improve nutrient uptake and avoid the tingles.
This of course means you’ll need to get your other dose of beta alanine in on the opposite end of the day. Maybe Ghost will have a solution to that problem eventually…??
Agmatine Sulfate (500mg)
While L-Citrulline provides the initial surge of nitric oxide to power your pumps, Agmatine Sulfate sustains your elevated N.O. levels by inhibiting arginase. This enzyme is responsible for the degradation of arginine in the body.
The Agmatine + Citrulline combo is great for powerful, dense, and sustained pumps during your workout. Typically, when running it solo, we prefer to see at least 750mg of Agmatine, but when used alongside all that citrulline and our next ingredient, 500mg will do!
Doubling down on the arginase inhibitions is our next ingredient — Norvaline, a derivative of the BCAA L-Valine. It supports cardiovascular function and blood flow, as well as pumps.
Similar to Agmatine, Norvaline indirectly increases N.O. production via arginase inhibition. Norvaline helps sustain arginine levels in the body, which is vital to ensuring longer-lasting N.O. production.
Ghost Smart Energy
To further pumps and endurance, Ghost includes a full gram of Taurine, a conditionally essential amino acid stored in vast amounts in the heart, brain, and skeletal muscle. Taurine is an osmolyte, which is a fancy way of saying it helps draw water into muscle cells.
Additional water in the muscle improves hydration and provides some nice “water-based” pumps. On top of that, since taurine is stored in large amounts in the brain, it’s also boosts focus and cognition.
Caffeine Anhydrous (165mg)
The primary stimulant driving Legend’s energy matrix is 165mg of caffeine anhydrous. While this may seem “tame” to some of you high stim fiends out there, don’t rush to any conclusions. We’ve still got a dash more caffeine coming ahead plus another stim at the end.
But know this, Ghost isn’t some “hardcore stim-addict’s” pre workout. It’s a well-rounded pre workout that provides a solid energy boost for your workout without sending you overboard.
Alpha GPC (150mg)
One of the premier focus boosters on the market, Alpha GPC is a choline-containing compound that increases levels of the “learning neurotransmitter” acetylcholine.
Aside from elevating focus, Alpha GPC also improves power output (when dosed at 600mg), endurance, and post workout Growth Hormone (GH) levels.[12,13,14]
Personally, we’d prefer to get at least 300mg of Alpha GPC, so in order to get that much, you’d have to double scoop Legend, or (a better option!) use one scoop of Ghost’s Amino supplement which also provides 150mg of the potent nootropic.
Rhodiola Rosea (100mg)
Here’s an ingredient that’s starting to show up more and more in pre workouts recently, the powerful adaptogen, Rhodiola rosea. This herb helps the body deal with various emotional, psychological, and physical stressors. Adaptogens like rhodiola also enhance endurance and alertness while decreasing mental fatigue from stressful situations.
Other research indicates that rhodiola may even enhance cognitive function and memory due to its interactions with the dopamine, norepinephrine, serotonin and acetylcholine neurotransmitter production systems.
Dicaffeine Malate (50mg)
Our second form of caffeine, dicaffeine malate is a combination of malic acid (malate) and caffeine. It yields roughly 73% caffeine, which adds an additional 37mg caffeine according to Legend’s facts panel.
This brings the total caffeine content of Legend to 202mg by our math. The benefit to dicaffeine malate is that it provides a long-lasting, sustained release of energy to balance out the initial surge from the 165mg of anhydrous we discussed above.
A lesser known member of the xanthine family, theobromine is found in cocoa and tea and actions similar to caffeine, although to a much lesser extent. Aside from CNS stimulation, theobromine also support respiratory function and fight inflammation, as well as improves energy, focus, vasodilation, and, breathing.
This is a great “add-on” stim to have that provides sustained energy along with dicaffeine malate.
NADH 10% (10mg)
NADH is the active form of Vitamin B3 (Niacin) in the body. B Vitamins in general are necessary for natural energy production by helping convert the food we eat into useable fuel (i.e. glucose) for our muscles.
Supplementation with NADH has been noted to improve energy levels by combatting fatigue and improving mental function.[19,20] This is an ingredient we rarely see in this form in supplements. Typically, you’ll get pure Niacin or Niacinamide in your pre workout, which when dosed too high at once results in the rather irritating Niacin flush — making you feel all hot and itchy all over.
Thankfully, with NADH you don’t have those problems!
Rauwolfia Vomitoria (1mg)
Traditionally used in the treatment of hypertension and mental disorders, rauwolfia vomitoria is a plant that in today’s day and age is typically standardized for Alpha-Yohimbine, a.k.a. rauwolscine, a very powerful alpha receptor agonist.
Alpha-Yohimbine is frequently used as a “finishing touch” to the stim component of pre workouts and fat burners for its ability to enhance energy and mood, while also supporting weight loss and lowering pain sensitivity.
On a Mission
We’ve had some very detailed discussion with Ghost about the brand’s launch and development these past few months. While they may seem like a lot of flash and pizzazz, these guys are at their core about providing quality products backed by 100% transparent labels:
”My biggest goal is to show, via education… Yeah we’ve created a lot of buzz, yeah we’re design savvy and take good pictures and have some friends who do their thing on youtube but at the core is a great, fully disclosed product.”
When Legend originally launched, it was only available in two flavors; however, since the reformulation, they’ve added a third flavor, which in our opinion, is the best of the lot! The three flavors are:
- Fruit Punch
- Blue Raspberry
Our Ghost Legend Review
We’ve had the privilege to try the new Warheads flavoring, and it’s down right delicious, with just enough pop to remind you of the super-sour Warheads candy from childhood.
Check out our review of Ghost Legend here:
You ready to become a LEGEND?
Legend’s overhauled formula is a significant step up in quality and transparency over the v1 version we say last year when the brand launched. Those interested in a moderately stimmed, pump-enhancing pre workout will surely want to take a look at Legend.
It’s got the substance to match the style – but the crack addicts out there are gonna end up spending a lot of money if they need to two-scoop it, so make sure that this one is right for you!
Legend - Best Deals and Price Drop Notifications
Get Price Alerts
No spam, no scams.
Like this Post? We have more on the way…
PricePlow is a price comparison site that asks one simple question: is this worth it?
The honest truth lives here. Follow us on social media below:
- Curis E., et. al; “Citrulline and the gut;”; Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care; September 2007
- Figueroa A., et. al.; American Journal of Hypertension; “Oral L-citrulline supplementation attenuates blood pressure response to cold pressor test in young men;” January 2010
- Hickner RC. et. al.; Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise; “L-citrulline reduces time to exhaustion and insulin response to a graded exercise test;“
- Baguet, A et al.; Journal of Applied Physiology; “Important role of muscle carnosine in rowing performance;” July 2010;” 2005
- Trexler ET, Smith-Ryan AE, Stout JR, et al. International society of sports nutrition position stand: Beta-Alanine. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 2015;12:30. doi:10.1186/s12970-015-0090-y. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4501114/
- Stout JR, Cramer JT, Zoeller RF, et al. Effects of β-alanine supplementation on the onset of neuromuscular fatigue and ventilatory threshold in women. Amino Acids. 2007;32(3):381-386. doi:10.1007/s00726-006-0474-z. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00726-006-0474-z
- Demady, D; Agmatine enhances the NADPH oxidase activity of neuronal NO synthase and leads to oxidative inactivation of the enzyme.; Department of Pharmacology, The University of Michigan Medical School; 2001
- Hoffmann, E.K., I.H. Lambert, and S.F. Pedersen, Physiology of cell volume regulation in vertebrates. Physiol Rev, 2009. 89(1)
- Alford, C., H. Cox, and R. Wescott, The effects of red bull energy drink on human performance and mood. Amino Acids, 2001. 21(2)
- Acute supplementation with alpha-glycerylphosphorylcholine augments growth hormone response to, and peak force production during, resistance exercise.
- Alpha-Glycerylphosphorylcholine administration increases the GH responses to GHRH of young and elderly subjects.
- Effect of L-alpha-glyceryl-phosphorylcholine on amnesia caused by scopolamine.
- Khanum F., et. al.; Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety; “Rhodiola rosea: A versatile Adaptogen;” 2005
- Shevtsov VA, et al; Phytomedicine; “A randomized trial of two different doses of Rhodiola rosea extract versus placebo and control of capacity for mental work;” 2003
- Martínez-Pinilla E, Oñatibia-Astibia A, Franco R. The relevance of theobromine for the beneficial effects of cocoa consumption. Frontiers in Pharmacology. 2015;6:30. doi:10.3389/fphar.2015.00030. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4335269/
- Forsyth LM, Preuss HG, MacDowell AL, et al. Therapeutic effects of oral NADH on the symptoms of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 1999;82:185-91. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10071523
- Birkmayer JGD. Coenzyme nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide: New therapeutic approach for improving dementia of the Alzheimer type. Ann Clin Lab Sci 1996;26:1-9. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8834355