Choline supplements are frequently used by athletes, bodybuilders, and even students to increase focus, cognition, and memory formation. The problem with certain forms of choline supplements is that they are not absorbed all the well by the body.
However, alpha-glycerylphosphorylcholine (Alpha GPC) is one of the forms that is highly bioavailable and readily absorbed by the body. Several studies have been done on this form of choline in regards to cognitive improvement, Growth Hormone output, and power development.[2,3,4]
We often compare the two high-end choline supplements, Alpha GPC vs. Citicoline (CDP Choline), usually siding on citicoline end of the argument because we ‘feel’ it more. Today that might have to change.
Reason being, not much has been studied in the way of Alpha GPC’s role in improving strength levels… until now. Could a brain boosting nootropic really help improve your strength levels in the weight room, translating to better performance on the field of competition?
A new study published in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition investigates the effects of Alpha GPC on strength and performance.
Thirteen college-age males were recruited for a double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover study lasting six days. Participants were administered 600mg each day of Chemi Nutra’s AlphaSize® Alpha-GPC or placebo. Subjects were also asked to follow their normal day-to-day routine and not add or remove anything from their typical diet or supplementation regimen.
Following supplementation, the participants were subjected to both upper body and lower body isometric strength tests. Upper body testing consisted of performing push up type movement against a high-frequency load cell. Lower body testing involved the use of a squat cage where participants performed an isometric mid thigh pull.
After a 1-week washout period, the males repeated the trial with the other treatment (this is the crossover side of things).
The greatest improvements were seen in lower body strength results, where the isometric mid-thigh pull peak force significantly increased from initial testing baseline compared to placebo. Unfortunately, the upper body results were not statistically significant, but they did trend “towards greater change from baseline force production.”
Regarding the discrepancy in results for upper body testing, researchers said it may be due to a high variability of upper body strength among the participants, which could have limited their statistical impact. Nevertheless, the researchers maintain there were improvements, and the good news is that further studies with more participants are coming, which may smooth that out and give even better data.
The group of researchers further commented,
“The results of the study suggest that A-GPC is effective at increasing lower-body force production after six days of supplementation. Given that, in many sports, it is understood that a very small change in performance, often times less than 2%, can significantly affect outcomes, it is important to note that the six days of A-GPC resulted in greater than a 3% increase in lower-body isometric strength.”
Alpha-GPC - Best Deals and Price Drop Notifications
Get Price Alerts
No spam, no scams.
The Road Ahead
After seeing the study for ourselves, Team PricePlow reached out to Dr. David Bellar, Ph.D. RSCC*D, CSCS*D, director of the School of Kinesiology at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette regarding future trials involving Alpha GPC.
During our communications, Dr. Bellar mentioned that, “A larger trial is currently underway in our lab where we plan to study 48 individuals with two different doses of A-GPC compared to Caffeine.”
Additionally, Dr. Bellar also stated that within the next six months, his team will be investigating tart cherry products effects on human performance. We’ve definitely been seeing tart cherry trending in products, so this lab is up to good things.
Products that Contain Alpha GPC
Below are the blog posts tagged with Alpha GPC. Note, however, that nearly none of them contain full 600mg doses of the ingredient, but they’re usually a great start, and then you can add a bit more on your own:
- NTel Pharma Clenadrol X: Powerful All-in-One Fat Burner Posted on: July 20, 2017
- MAN Sports Brain Bridge: Powdered Brain Power! Posted on: July 14, 2017
- Onnit Alpha Brain - Overrated Cognitive Booster for Beginners? Posted on: June 24, 2017
- MPA Supps CelluVOL - Matt Porter's Personal Pre Workout! Posted on: May 5, 2017
- Genius PRE Workout: Train Smarter AND Harder Posted on: March 8, 2017
- Ghost Legend - A Pre Workout Fit for Legends Posted on: February 23, 2017
- Blackstone Labs Hype Extreme: Long-Lasting Pumps & Focus Posted on: February 7, 2017
- AZOTH - Holy Fully Loaded Nootropic!! Posted on: February 2, 2017
- ATP Nutrition Perform Kinetics: The Perfect Surprise Pre Workout Posted on: January 20, 2017
- Primeval Labs Gray Matter - Serious Brain Gains Posted on: January 12, 2017
- HAKNutrition PreHAK - The Ultimate Workout Hack! Posted on: January 4, 2017
- Controlled Labs GAMER UP - Leveling Up Made Easy! Posted on: December 14, 2016
- C4 Ultimate: Cellucor's Pinnacle Pre Workout! Posted on: December 13, 2016
- Jim Stoppani Sued AGAIN. New Class Action Lawsuit Posted on: November 26, 2016
- Best Gaming Supplement Buyer's Guide: 2017's Top 10 Posted on: November 12, 2016
- NooWave's High Performer Nootropic: Unlock Your Mind! Posted on: October 25, 2016
- RedCon1 Mental Trigger Brings the BRAIN Gains Posted on: October 12, 2016
- Blue Star Elevate: Maximum Mental Muscle Potential! Posted on: October 7, 2016
- Meet the Man Who REALLY Formulated Pre-JYM Posted on: October 4, 2016
- Divided Labs PREVIDE: Serious Pre-Workout.. but at 2 Scoops Posted on: September 21, 2016
- Northbound Nutrition BLEND - Cognitive Energy & Endurance Posted on: September 6, 2016
- MOD Gaming Supplement - Amp up your Gaming Focus! Posted on: August 25, 2016
- Performax Labs VasoMax: Rethinking the Pump Formula Posted on: August 22, 2016
- Northbound Nutrition PINNACLE: The Pinnacle of Pre Workouts? Posted on: August 9, 2016
- RedCon1 Big Noise: Focused Bunker Busting Pump-Bombs! Posted on: August 8, 2016
- First Finisher Champion Performance Powder: Gains for Miles Posted on: July 22, 2016
- Olympus Labs ELIX1R of the Gods & Goddesses Posted on: March 28, 2016
- Alpha GPC for Strength CONFIRMED: 600mg/day for Legs! Posted on: January 6, 2016
- Olympus Labs TR1UMPH: Next-Gen Muscle Builder Posted on: December 29, 2015
- Conqu3r Unleashed by Olympus Labs: Balanced Perfection Posted on: December 2, 2015
- Rich Piana's MENTALITY - Cognitive Booster Leaves *Nothing* Out Posted on: November 23, 2015
- Best Sleep Aid Guide: Supplements, Ingredients, & Herbs Posted on: November 4, 2015
- Olympus Labs Conqu3r Unleashed Stim-Free: Loaded to the Gills! Posted on: November 2, 2015
- C4 Neuro - Cellucor's C4 with FOCUS Posted on: October 21, 2015
- Carbon PREP - Layne Norton's Pre Workout Posted on: October 1, 2015
- Altius Pre Workout Review (Jacked Factory) Posted on: April 30, 2015
- Controlled Labs White Rapids - Feel the Rush! Posted on: April 29, 2015
- Altius Pre-Workout by Jacked Factory: The G.O.A.T?! Posted on: March 31, 2015
- SAN MegaTron - Stim-Free Supplement as Good as its Name Posted on: February 12, 2015
We’ve always loved choline-based supplements – but mostly for the “mind-muscle” feel they provide. Now we know that there’s much more going on than that!
In fact, a few of our top-rated pre workout supplements contain it already – but we’ll see what brand is first to respond with this clinical (albeit kind of expensive) dose!
Anyway, every athlete and average gym rat is looking for safe, natural ways to increase their performance in the weight room and on the field. It doesn’t matter if you are a weekend warrior or an Olympic athlete, there’s an innate desire among us all to get bigger, faster, and stronger.
Sure we all know about creatine, beta alanine, betaine, etc. but where are those hidden gems that not everyone may be using?
Initial studies involving Alpha GPC show some promising results for improving power and strength levels, and future studies will hopefully back this up along with an “ideal” dose.
Make sure to stay tuned to PricePlow for any further developments regarding Alpha GPC studies and for Dr. Bellar’s larger trial on it in the coming months.
Alpha-GPC - Best Deals and Price Drop Notifications
Get Price Alerts
No spam, no scams.
Like this Post? We have more on the way…
PricePlow is a price comparison site that asks one simple question: is this worth it?
The honest truth lives here. Follow us on social media below:
- Bellar D, LeBlanc NR, Campbell B; “The effect of 6 days of alpha glycerylphosphorylcholine on isometric strength”; J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2015; 12(1):42; Retrieved from http://www.jissn.com/content/12/1/42
- Ziegenfuss T, Landis J, Hofheins J. Acute supplementation with alpha-glycerylphosphorylcholine augments growth hormone response to, and peak force production during, resistance exercise. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 2008;5(Suppl 1):P15. doi:10.1186/1550-2783-5-S1-P15.
- De Jesus Moreno Moreno M; Cognitive improvement in mild to moderate Alzheimer’s dementia after treatment with the acetylcholine precursor choline alfoscerate: a multicenter, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial . Clin Ther. (2003)
- Parnetti L, Amenta F, Gallai V; Choline alphoscerate in cognitive decline and in acute cerebrovascular disease: an analysis of published clinical data . Mech Ageing Dev. (2001)