This time of year, you fall into one of two camps. You’re either embracing the “winter bulk” or heading back to the gym after a long layoff and ready to strip off the holiday fat.
If you’re in the latter group, you’ll have plenty of new friends at the overflowing gym. Lucky for you, this is also the time of year when a slew of fat burners hit the market to capitalize on all those looking to get back in shape for summer.
Lipo-Drex is a brand new thermogenic from iSatori that combines nutrient partitioning and fat burning all in one! We’re extremely excited about this combination, and with just a couple of exceptions, we believe this is going to be an effective product and work out very well for both dieters and iSatori this year.
In our previous post on iSatori’s 100% BioActive Whey, we warned that they’d be putting out a lot of new stuff. This is one of the several new supplements new in 2016!
The rundown is down below, but before we get there, take a second to sign up for price drop alerts and check the best deal:
iSatori Lipo-Drex – Deals and Price Drop Alerts
Get Price Alerts
No spam, no scams.
Disclosure: PricePlow relies on pricing from stores with which we have a business relationship. We work hard to keep pricing current, but you may find a better offer.
Posts are sponsored in part by the retailers and/or brands listed on this page.
Lipo-Drex contains a number of well-known players in the fat burner arena along with a few new additions to spice things up. The combination of these 3 complexes should provide for a high energy, focus driven fat burning experience.
C3GMax Nutrient Partitioning / Cutting Matrix (318mg)
C3GMax is a patented combination of Aronia Melanocarpa Fruit Powder, Purple Corn Extract, and Blackeberry Extract that’s been standardized for Cyanadin-3-0-Glucoside, a.k.a. C3G.
C3G is an anthocyanin that has been studied for its effects as an alpha-amylase inhibitor, one of the salivary enzymes in humans that helps digest starch and glycogen.
This may allow you to still enjoy some carbs while dieting down as your body won’t necessarily be absorbing all of the calories and nutrients from them.
Green Tea Extract
A common ingredient in most thermogenics and fat burners, green tea extract is widely used for its numerous health benefits. iSatori is using an extract that’s standardized for 98% polyphenols and 45% EGCG.
EGCG’s role in promoting lipolytic actions in the body is probably well known by now[3,4], but there’s more!
EGCG is also beneficial in preventing the body from absorbing various types of carbohydrates due to its interactions with certain digestive enzymes in the body.[5,6]
We’ll never complain about having this one in a fat burner. Safe, effective, and free of side effects for nearly everyone. All the better that the standardizations are listed!
Coleus Forskohlii (10% Forskolin from ForsLean)
Coleus Forskohlii is a plant rich in a number of compounds known to possess antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory activities. Forskolin is one of the bioactive compounds that’s gained popularity in recent years as an effective stimulant-free weight loss and muscle conserving agent.[8,9,10]
Forskolin extracts come in varying amounts, and Lipo-Drex unfortunately uses an extract that’s standardized for a minimum of 10% Forskolin, coming from Forslean by the Sabinsa Corporation. The issue with the standardization is that it’s not the highest-quality extract – we personally prefer to shoot for 95% Forskolin in our coleus forskohlii supplements.
At 10% standardization, there’s a chance of greater GI distress and discomfort for users accustomed to 95% Forskolin extracts – and, you’re getting less active material to boot.
We asked iSatori about this, and they stated that it was to match Forslean’s scientific studies. This allows iSatori to use those studies in their marketing and legally make claims from them, which makes sense.
Perhaps there’s something else going on in that other 90% of raw coleus, but we personally prefer more active ingredient to more marketing claims.
You can read more in our mega-article article titled Forskolin: Coleus Forskohlii’s “Lightning in a Bottle”
Acetyl L-Carnitine HCl
Acetyl L-Carnitine (ALCAR) is an acetylated version of the amino acid L-Carnitine, which allows for better absorption by the body and the ability to cross the blood-brain barrier.
The improved bioavailability of ALCAR comes with a number of benefits including: reduced mental fatigue, heightened mood, and elevated Nitric Oxide levels.
Most importantly, ALCAR works synergistically with caffeine (also included in Lipo-Drex) to increase a phenomenon known as “fatty acid dumping.” Here, the body excretes fatty acids when engaged in fat burning mode.
This is one of our favorite and most underrated ingredients – our preferred form of L-Carnitine. However, dosing it well in capsules is tough if you’re looking for serious focus – and with it below forskolin, it’s going to be hard to “feel” like you would if you took say 1.5 grams of powder. Still, a great ingredient.
Here’s where the magic in Lipo-Drex is!
Lipo-Drex is a bold move by iSatori that we honestly think will pay off.
Berberine is an alkaloid extracted from a number of different plants commonly used in Chinese Medicine. Traditionally, berberine was used for as an anti-inflammatory and cholesterol lowering agent.
Modern studies involving berberine demonstrate its incredibly effective at regulating insulin levels and glucose disposal. Berberine activates Adenosine Monophosphate-Activated Protein Kinase (AMPK) while inhibiting Protein-Tyrosine Phosphatase 1B (PTP1B).
Activation of AMPK improves glucose transportation and insulin sensitivity in the body.[17,18]
This is one of those rare herbal those extracts that really does possess medical benefits. With it, you’ll notice that the sugars you are ingesting are going to your muscles instead of your stomach and thighs!
This is why you take Lipo-Drex before a meal!
Normally this is taken prior to eating carbs, the best time for the glucose disposal to work. However, seeing it in a fat burner is a great idea, and not done enough.
Because it will lower blood sugar levels, you must follow the instructions of Lipo-Drex and take it before meals. If you forget to eat, you might feel a bit light-headed (this really depends on the berberine dose) as blood sugar could drop.
So follow instructions and time it before meals.
What a great idea to put into a fat burner. We just hope everyone reads the label!
THERMO-VAR Thermo Burn Matrix (279mg)
Caffeine Anhydrous (199.5mg)
While the rest of the ingredients are contained within a prop blend, iSatori has disclosed the amount of caffeine in Lipo-Drex. Coming in at 199.5mg keeps it under the 200mg threshold that seems to be the make or break point for the stim-sensitive crowd out there, but just barely.
This allows for the heavier crowd (greater than 150 lbs) to stay under 400mg of caffeine intake for the day, provided you’re not ingesting caffeine from any coffee, tea, soda, etc.
400mg is often used as the benchmark for “safe caffeine consumption” for the general public, so iSatori… we see what you did there!
Using L-Ornithine as part of a fat burner may seem strange to some of you, but there’s solid reasoning behind its inclusion in Lipo-Drex. Recent research has shown that the humble amino acid has a synergistic effect when used alongside caffeine.
Studies have shown that ornithine extends the half-life of caffeine and increase mood up to 8 hours post consumption. This can help stave off the slump in energy that often comes with reduced calories.
Capsitherm Cayenne Powder
Capsitherm is a trademarked cayenne pepper extract rich in compounds such as capsaicin, capsaicinoid, and capsinoid. This particular cayenne extract is standardized for 40,000HU/gram.
Cayenne pepper extracts have some solid science backing them as a potent fat oxidizer. Capsaicin increases energy expenditure and promotes the burning of stored fat. An upside to this being in capsule form is not having to deal with the “peppery” flavor that is present in powder based fat burners.
Another pepper extract, except this one comes from black peppercorns. BioPerine is the ultra-popular patented black pepper extract used to improve the absorption and bioavailability of other active ingredients in supplements.
Yohimbine HCl (1.5mg)
Yohimbine is a naturally-occurring plant alkaloid found in the Rauwolfia Serpentina plant as well as the Pausinystalia yohimbe tree. Yohimbine has been shown to enhance cognition, focus, as well as energy levels.[21,22,23]
Lipo-Drex contains 1.5mg of Yohimbine, which is generally tolerated well by most. At 2 caps (3mgs), this may feel rather aggressive especially with almost 400mg of caffeine along for the ride, but that comes down to your tolerance.
1.5mg is tolerated by nearly everyone. If you know you can’t handle it, you might have to skip this. On the other hand, we know some users that would add even more yohimbine to the mix!!
ATTAK Mental Drive Complex (62.5)
TeaCrine, a.k.a. theacrine, is a compound molecularly similar to caffeine that also possess many of the same benefits and effects as its more well-known counterpart. The additional benefit with TeaCrine is that it doesn’t come with the tolerance build up like caffeine dose.
Basically, this allows for a lower dose of theacrine to be used with the same effectiveness without having to up the dose constantly. Theacrine supplementation also has been shown to increase dopamine levels in the brain, which boosts mood, and reduce oxidative stress in the body.
Bacopa Monniera Extract is a nootropic herb traditionally used in Ayurvedic medicine as a mood-elevating agent. Bacopa acts on the serotonergic and dopaminergic systems in the body, that also happens to enhance communication between neurons.
Furthermore, Bacopa Monniera increases cognition and helps alleviate symptoms of stress and anxiety.[28,29] It’s even been postulated to be synergistic with caffeine due to Bacopa’s ability to mitigate spikes in dopamine levels. More research is needed to conclusively prove this hypothesis though.
Our last ingredient is another “feel-good” ingredient commonly paired with stimulants. Hordenine is one of the alkaloids present in Bitter Orange, a.k.a. Citrus Aurantium. Hordenine functions operates as a beta-2 adrenergic agonist in the body, which helps to increase energy levels.
Furthermore, Hordenine demonstrates the unique ability to function as a noradrenaline reuptake modulator in the body.[31,32] This means noradrenaline stays active longer in the body, which translates into greater focus, energy, and alertness.
Frequently fat burners just state a recommended dosing protocol for individuals regardless of their weight. iSatori, however, has individualized the dosing instructions to account for the widespread weight differences of the population.
For those under 150 pounds take 1 capsule 30 minutes prior to the first meal of the day. If you’re heavier than 150 pounds, take 2 capsules 30 minutes prior to the first meal of the day.
If you’re sensitive to stimulants, don’t take within 4 hours prior to sleep. Do not exceed more than 2 capsules per day. LIPO-DREX can be used on its own or with other iSatori supplements that do not contain caffeine or other stimulants.
Lipo-Drex looks absolutely fantastic. This is one serious capsule.
Our one and only major issue is that we wish a stronger forskolin extract had been used. Other than that, this product is on point.
For some users, the minor issue is that you’re locked into 199.5mg caffeine per capsule without any wiggle room. You either take it or you don’t.
If you are low-stim and enjoy the 100mg caffeine fat burners out there… and can’t handle this much caffeine, this simply won’t work (unless you start opening capsules and dealing with the crazy tasting powder).
Given that caffeine constraint and the inclusion of berberine, Lipo-Drex is a bold move by iSatori that we honestly think will pay off. Simply because it’s going to feel good and it’s going to work.
So if you’re ready to drop 199.5mg caffeine in one sitting, and follow the instructions and take this before your meal, then Lipo-Drex definitely deserves a shot in 2016.
iSatori Lipo-Drex – Deals and Price Drop Alerts
Get Price Alerts
No spam, no scams.
Posts are sponsored in part by the retailers and/or brands listed on this page.
- The Effects of Epigallocatechin-3-Gallate on Thermogenesis and Fat Oxidation in Obese Men: A Pilot Study
- Effects of the long term ingestion of tea catechins on Energy Expenditure and Dietary fat oxidation in healthy subjects
- Wang Y, Yang Z, Wei X; Sugar compositions, α-glucosidase inhibitory and amylase inhibitory activities of polysaccharides from leaves and flowers of Camellia sinensis obtained by different extraction methods . Int J Biol Macromol. (2010)
- Juhel C, et al; Green tea extract (AR25) inhibits lipolysis of triglycerides in gastric and duodenal medium in vitro . J Nutr Biochem. (2000)
- Atta-ur-Rhaman; “Studies in Natural Products Chemistry: Bioactive Natural Products (Part F)”; December 14, 2001; Retrieved from https://books.google.com/books/about/Studies_in_Natural_Products_Chemistry.html?id=M1rgl6TrVYgC
- Vermeulen RC, Scholte HR; Exploratory open label, randomized study of acetyl- and propionylcarnitine in chronic fatigue syndrome . Psychosom Med. (2004)
- Parnetti L, et al; Pharmacokinetics of IV and oral acetyl-L-carnitine in a multiple dose regimen in patients with senile dementia of Alzheimer type . Eur J Clin Pharmacol. (1992)
- Soczynska JK, et al; Acetyl-L-carnitine and alpha-lipoic acid: possible neurotherapeutic agents for mood disorders . Expert Opin Investig Drugs. (2008)
- Bloomer RJ, Tschume LC, Smith WA; Glycine propionyl-L-carnitine modulates lipid peroxidation and nitric oxide in human subjects . Int J Vitam Nutr Res. (2009)
- Sachan DS, Hongu N; Increases in VO2max and metabolic markers of fat oxidation by caffeine, carnitine, and choline supplementation in rats . J Nutr Biochem. (2000)
- Li Y, et al; Bioactivities of berberine metabolites after transformation through CYP450 isoenzymes . J Transl Med. (2011)
- Liu LZ, et al; The pivotal role of protein kinase C zeta (PKCzeta) in insulin- and AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK)-mediated glucose uptake in muscle cells . Cell Signal. (2010)
- Kim WS, et al; Berberine improves lipid dysregulation in obesity by controlling central and peripheral AMPK activity . Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. (2009)
- Janssens, P, et. al; “Acute Effects of Capsaicin on Energy Expenditure and Fat Oxidation in Negative Energy Balance“; July 2013
- Mizuki Y, et al. Differential effects of noradrenergic drugs on anxiety and arousal in healthy volunteers with high and low anxiety. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. (1996)
- Szemeredi, K; Simultaneous measurement of plasma and brain extracellular fluid concentrations of catechols after yohimbine administration in rats.; Hypertensive-Endocrine Branch, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; 1991
- Cameron, O; Effects of yohimbine on cerebral blood flow, symptoms, and physiological functions in humans.; Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan Medical Center; 2000
- Cauli, O;Subchronic caffeine exposure induces sensitization to caffeine and cross-sensitization to amphetamine ipsilateral turning behavior independent from dopamine release.; Department of Toxicology and Centre of Excellence for Neurobiology of Dependence, University of Cagliari; 2008
- Li WX, et al.; “Theacrine, a purine alkaloid obtained from Camellia assamica var. kucha, attenuates restraint stress-provoked liver damage in mice.“; J Agric Food Chem.; 2013
- Feduccia A, et al.; “Locomotor activation by theacrine, a purine alkaloid structurally similar to caffeine: involvement of adenosine and dopamine receptors.”; Pharmacol Biochem Behav; 2012
- Vollala VR, Upadhya S, Nayak S; Enhanced dendritic arborization of hippocampal CA3 neurons by Bacopa monniera extract treatment in adult rats . Rom J Morphol Embryol. (2011)
- Vollala VR, Upadhya S, Nayak S; Enhancement of basolateral amygdaloid neuronal dendritic arborization following Bacopa monniera extract treatment in adult rats . Clinics (Sao Paulo). (2011)
- Downey LA, et al; An Acute, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Crossover Study of 320 mg and 640 mg Doses of a Special Extract of Bacopa monnieri (CDRI 08) on Sustained Cognitive Performance . Phytother Res. (2012)
- Frank M, et al; Hordenine: pharmacology, pharmacokinetics and behavioural effects in the horse; Equine Vet J. (1990)
- Barwell C.; School of Pharmacy; “Deamination of hordenine by monoamine oxidase and its action on vasa deferentia of the rat;” 1989
- Nedergaard O.; British Journal of Pharmacology; “Action of various sympathomimetic amines on the isolated stripped vas deferens of the guinea-pig;” November 1968
- Nawrot, P; Effects of caffeine on human health.; Toxicological Evaluation Section, Chemical Health Hazard Assessment Division, Bureau of Chemical Safety, Food Directorate, Health Canada; 2003