When companies manufacture well-dosed products, it makes our job incredibly easy and enjoyable on the PricePlow blog. Fortunately, with Performax Labs, as of late they’ve been producing nothing short of outstanding products.
Count us in on this next one!
With their upgraded high-stim pre workout HyperMax XT, Performax has been landing on “21” constantly. PowerMax XT is the latest release from Performax and it’s a doozy of a stim-free pre workout / once-daily muscle-builder that can be used alone or in conjunction with HyperMax XT.
PowerMax XT is a replacement product for CreMax XT, and brings a few improvements.
The ingredient breakdown is just ahead, but first, take a moment to check the best deal and sign up for PricePlow alerts:
PowerMax XT - Best Deals and Price Drop Notifications
Get Price Alerts
No spam, no scams.
PowerMax XT Ingredients
When we said well dosed, we weren’t kidding! PowerMax XT contains clinical doses of important muscle and power-boosters like creatine and betaine along with a host of other ergogenics to enhance and optimize each workout you have. Don’t be shocked to notice that there’s quite a bit of overlap between PowerMax XT and CreMax XT as well…
Strength – Power – Recovery
The daily basics: All athletes should seriously look into using these:
Creatine Monohydrate (5g)
The most well known, and proven, muscle builder of all time, creatine monohydrate, leads off this cast of characters in PowerMax XT. Sure, Performax could have gone with one of the sexier forms of creatine such as Magnesium Creatine Chelate (which was in the original PowerMax), but instead they’ve gone with the form of creatine shown time and again to be the superior form. No other form of creatine has continually been documented to:
- Increase power and strength[1,2]
- Support lean mass gains[3,4]
- Decrease fatigue
- Improve cellular hydration[6,7]
You get the full clinical dose of creatine (5g) so there’s no need to worry about adding some bulk mono to make up for the “pixie-dusting” that so many other creatine products do.
Betaine Anhydrous (2.5g)
Betaine Anhydrous, a.k.a. trimethylglycine, is a proven power-booster that’s become a stalwart in most pre workouts hitting the market these days. There’s a good reason for this, as numerous clinical trials have documented its ability to enhance power, endurance, as well as protein synthesis.[8,9]
Furthermore, betaine supplementation has also been shown to alleviate muscle soreness and support creatine production in the body. Just like our previous ingredient, we get the full clinical dosage of 2.5g of betaine.
L-Alanyl L-Glutamine (2.5g)
L-Alanyl L-Glutamine is a combination of the two amino acids L-Glutamine and L-Alanine. This ingredient is most frequently encountered in post workout formulas due to Glutamine’s ability to quicken recovery and prevent muscular soreness. Alanine’s attachment to Glutamine is due to its ability to improve the bioavailability and absorption of Glutamine[13,14], which otherwise glutamine would be degraded in the stomach before it could reach the intestines for absorption, thereby negating its recovery benefits.
Additionally, L-Alanyl L-Glutamine (a.k.a. Sustamine) is also great for increasing cellular hydration and electrolyte levels, which lead to increased endurance and time to exhaustion.[15,16] This ultimately allows you to get more work done before succumbing to fatigue.
Endurance – Performance
Rarely encountered in pre workouts is our next ingredient: Creatinol-O-Phosphate (COP). Known as a potent fatigue-fighter, COP prevents the pH level in skeletal muscle from bottoming out and thereby creating an acidic environment, which is felt as a “burning sensation.” Offsetting this drop in pH enables working muscles to keep firing long after they normally would.[17,18]
It’s also important to note that COP donates a phosphate group back to skeletal muscle during the ATP process. This further enhances the effects of creatine, and betaine.
As much as we love having betaine and creatine in stim-free pre workouts, adding COP to the mix should without a doubt give you a significant strength increase! Unfortunately, we do wish there were more studies on this one, but the one thing we notice when taking it is an increase in strength. Reps just come easier and more fully flexed all at once. Your mileage may vary.
Selaginella tamariscina (100mg)
Another rarely utilized ingredient that’s beginning to show up a little more frequently is the active component of the Chinese plant Selaginella tamariscina, amentoflavone. Performax uses a top-quality extract of the Chinese plant that supplies 90% Amentoflavone. Often referred to as amentoflavone, this ingredient inhibits phosphodiesterase (PDE) and prevents the metabolism of cGMP as well as cAMP.
The most well known PDE5 inhibitor (i.e. Viagra) acts similar to Amento in that it enhances blood flow throughout the body. This leads to greater vasodilation, more pronounced pumps, and better performance during training.
Amentoflavone also improves muscle contractions by enhancing the amount of calcium transported into muscle cells, making it a premium strength booster.
As if that’s not enough, amentoflavone also increases fat burning, mood, and alertness.[21,22,23] For an ingredient that carries as many benefits as this one, we still can’t figure out why more companies don’t make use of this potent ergogenic.
Pumps – Fullness – Hydration
Taurine is a conditionally essential amino acid that gets depleted rapidly during bouts of high exercise. Although it’s stored in the brain, heart and muscle, we’re mostly interested in its actions on skeletal muscle.
In muscle, taurine acts as a cell volumizer helping draw water and nutrientsinto muscle cells. This improves overall hydration and gives more fullness to the muscle resulting in what we like to call “water-based” pumps. Additional research shows that taurine can alleviate symptoms of delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) as well as heighten focus.
Glycerol Powder 65% (1g)
When companies typically include glycerol products in their pre workouts, it’s almost always glycerol monostearate (GMS), which contains at most 25% glycerol. That’s not good enough for Performax as they’ve opted to include a much higher quality form of glycerol powder that is 65% glycerol.
Much like our previous ingredient, glycerol turns your muscles into a sponge and enables them to absorb a lot more water, thereby improving both hydration and endurance.[27,28] As before, you’ll also get some great “water-based” pumps and much rounder, fuller shaped muscles!.
Sodium Phosphate (200mg) & Potassium Phosphate (150mg)
To round out the hydration component of PowerMax XT, Performax includes two of the most important electrolytes in the body: sodium and potassium. These two electrolytes are vital for nerve, muscle, and CNS function and even as little as a 2% drop in hydration levels can lead to impaired performance and other undesirable consequences, like severe cramping!
Black Pepper Extract (5mg)
Last but not least, we have the ultimate absorption enhancer, black pepper extract standardized for 95% piperine. This ingredient allows the body to absorb each and every milligram of ergogenic goodness in PowerMax XT helping ensure you’re getting the most from your pre workout dosing.
As great as PowerMax XT looks, unfortunately it’s only available in one flavor: Orange Dream. Hopefully, if PowerMax is a big seller for Performax, they’ll consider adding some additional flavors to the lineup in the not too distant future.
As we stated at the beginning, well-dosed products make our jobs really, really easy when it comes to writing these breakdowns. Performax has been on a rampage lately with their comprehensive lineup of properly formulated products, and this muscle builder is no different.
Athletes need to get in here. If you’re looking for a great stim-free pre to use while on a stim break, looking for a comprehensive muscle-builder, or you really want to amp up HyperMax XT’s experience…. PowerMax XT fits any scenario you could imagine.
PowerMax XT - Best Deals and Price Drop Notifications
Get Price Alerts
No spam, no scams.
Like this Post? We have more on the way…
PricePlow is a price comparison site that asks one simple question: is this worth it?
The honest truth lives here. Follow us on social media below:
- Netreba, A; [Creatine as a metabolic controller of skeletal muscles structure and function in strength exercises in humans].; Ross Fiziol; 2006
- Bemben, M; The effects of supplementation with creatine and protein on muscle strength following a traditional resistance training program in middle-aged and older men.; Neuromuscular Lab, Dept. Health & Exercise Science, U. Oklahoma; 2010
- Chilibeck, P; Effect of creatine ingestion after exercise on muscle thickness in males and females.; College of Kinesiology, University of Saskatchewan; 2004
- Hoffman, J; Effect of creatine and beta-alanine supplementation on performance and endocrine responses in strength/power athletes.; Dept. of Health and Exercise Science, The College of New Jersey; 2006
- Anomasiri, W; Low dose creatine supplementation enhances sprint phase of 400 meters swimming performance.; Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University; 2004
- Häussinger D, Lang F. Cell volume and hormone action. Trends Pharmacol Sci. (1992)
- Lee EC, et al. Ergogenic effects of betaine supplementation on strength and power performance. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. (2010)
- Effect of betaine supplementation on power performance and fatigue
- del Favero S, et al Creatine but not betaine supplementation increases muscle phosphorylcreatine content and strength performance . Amino Acids. (2012)
- holewa, J; Effects of betaine on body composition, performance, and homocysteine thiolactone.; Department of Kinesiology, Recreation, and Sport Studies, Coastal Carolina University; 2013
- Betaine supplementation enhances anabolic endocrine and Akt signaling in response to acute bouts of exercise.
- Harris, R; L-glutamine Absorption Is Enhanced after Ingestion of L-alanylglutamine Compared with the Free Amino Acid or Wheat Protein. Nutrition Research 32.4 (2012).
- Hoffman, J; L-alanyl-L-glutamine Ingestion Maintains Performance during a Competitive Basketball Game. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 9.1 (2012)
- Bowtell JL, et al. Effect of oral glutamine on whole body carbohydrate storage during recovery from exhaustive exercise. J Appl Physiol. (1999)
- Hoffman JR, Ratamess NA, Kang J, et al. Examination of the efficacy of acute L-alanyl-L-glutamine ingestion during hydration stress in endurance exercise. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 2010;7:8. doi:10.1186/1550-2783-7-8.
- McCormack WP, Hoffman JR, Pruna GJ, Jajtner AR, Townsend JR, Stout JR, Fragala MS, Fukuda DH. Effects of l-Alanyl-l-Glutamine Ingestion on One-Hour Run Performance. J Am Coll Nutr. 2015 Jun 22:1-9
- Gaggino R, Delfino C, Menichetti G, Odaglia G, Metabolic aspects of anaerobic lactaid maximal sport performances. Effect of treatment wit Creatinol O-Phosphate. Medicina dello sport. 1984; 37: 85-92
- De Gasperi R, Giusti V, Rapelli S, Matriadonna C. Influenza del creatinolo o-fosfato sulla contrazione muscolare aspettin biochimica. Archivio Medicina interna. 1981; 3: 351-358
- Hoffmann, E.K., I.H. Lambert, and S.F. Pedersen, Physiology of cell volume regulation in vertebrates. Physiol Rev, 2009. 89(1)
- van Rosendal, S; Guidelines for glycerol use in hyperhydration and rehydration associated with exercise.; School of Human Movement Studies, The University of Queensland; 2010
- Wingo, J; Influence of a Pre-Exercise Glycerol Hydration Beverage on Performance and Physiologic Function During Mountain-Bike Races in the Heat; University of Connecticut, Department of Sport, Leisure, & Exercise Science; 2004