Fans of Rich Piana know he’s not a fan of the conventional. Whereas most supplement companies are happy to get by just marketing pre workouts, intra workouts, and protein powders, Rich and 5% Nutrition are have created a product to protect the body for the times you are in and out of the gym!
Mike recently posted his REAL FOOD Review, which is a “supplement” made of legitimate carb sources that he absolutely loved.
Moving forward, Rich Piana’s Liver and Organ Defender contains ingredients that will protect those vital organs important to certain bodybuilders and even everyone else. This means supporting your liver, heart, kidneys, prostate, and even your skin to keep them functioning optimally no matter what you put your body through!
What’s does Rich have in store for us? We’ll get to that in a second, but first take a second to sign up for PricePlow alerts and sign up for the best deal:
Liver and Organ Defender - Best Deals and Price Drop Notifications
Get Price Alerts
No spam, no scams.
Liver & Organ Defender Ingredients
Whether needing protection on-cycle, going off-cycle, or just some extra insurance to cover your supplement bases, Liver & Organ Defender contains some rather generous doses of ingredients aimed at protecting the unsung heroes of the human body:
N-Acetyl Cysteine (1,100mg)
N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) is the main substrate for glutathione, which you’ll find in this complex. It’s through this buffering of glutathione that NAC confers many benefits in regards to protecting the liver and providing antioxidant support to the body.[1,2,3]
FYI: Did you also know that NAC is a great hangover preventer? If you take this alongside some Vitamin B and Vitamin C, your system will have everything it needs to break down alcohol and its toxic byproducts (acetaldehyde).
Milk Thistle Powder (600mg)
There is a ton amount of research on milk thistle, it’s widely regarded for it liver detoxifying effects. The actual compound that does the work is known as silymarin, so we assume (but can’t confirm) that this is what Rich is using.
Basically, milk thistle enhances protein synthesis and DNA synthesis in the liver. Additionally, a systematic review on milk thistle concluded notes that alcoholic liver cirrhosis and alcohol poisoning are treatable. Now you shouldn’t be drinking heavily, but just in case you go on a weekend-bender here and there, Rich has you covered!
Glutathione is a non-essential amino acid that is vital to removing free radicals from the body.[6,7] However, the body’s production of glutathione is limited by how much cysteine is available. Fortunately, we’re already getting plenty of NAC, so glutathione can keep fighting oxidative stress and keep your liver functioning at peak levels.
Most products include one or the other – but it is extremely smart that 5%’ers get both of these, making for a one-two punch in liver protection through this pathway.
Hawthorn Berry Powder (1,100mg)
Various species of the Hawthorn plant have been used as a natural heart remedy for centuries. More recent studies have shown that it’s effective in treating arrhythmias and congestive heart failure.[8,9]
Alpha-Lipoic Acid (400mg)
ALA is a fatty acid that resides in the mitochondria that is involved in energy metabolism. It terms of heart-health benefits, ALA improves blood flow and improves the function of the muscles that line the blood vessels of the heart.
Garlic Extract (300mg)
It may not always smell the best, but garlic provides a ton of benefits in terms of heart health. Too many to list here, but garlic helps protect against abnormal heart growth, atherosclerosis, and high blood pressure.
Dimagnesium Malate (250mg)
As we covered in our Best Magnesium article, Magnesium is an essential mineral the body needs to perform over 300 of functions! Next to Vitamin D, it’s the second most common nutrient deficiency in people.
Low levels of magnesium can lead to elevated blood pressure and impaired cardiac function.[15,16] To keep your ticker pumping on all cylinders, it’s of utmost importance to get your daily needs of magnesium!
Coenzyme Q10 is another compound found in the mitochondria that supports energy metabolism. In terms of heart health, it can improve cardiac function, blood flow, and raise HDL (good) cholesterol levels.[17,18,19]
There are literally entire books written about how CoQ10 can help the heart, so we’re clearly just scratching the surface here.
Saw Palmetto (1,000mg)
All guys know keeping prostate growth at bay becomes increasingly more important as the years go by. As we all know, an enlarged prostate is one of the earliest signs of prostate cancer. Fortunately, Rich includes Saw Palmetto (Serenoa Repens) to suppress prostate growth.
Cordyceps Sinensis (500mg)
Cordyceps is a mushroom that was traditionally used in Chinese medicine as an anti-aging compound. More recently, it’s been included in supplements to aid the body in combating stress and delays the onset of fatigue. On top of that, cordyceps has also been used to in renal transplant patients to ensure a successful implantation and offset any possibility the body’s internal defense systems attack the new organ.
Zinc Bisglycinate Chelate (300mg)
Zinc is another essential mineral the body uses to regulate many enzymes and support the immune system. What you may not realize, is that zinc can do wonders for your skin! Not only can it help fight acne., but it’s also beneficial in preventing the growth of warts and psoriasis.[24,25]
Selenium Glycinate Chelate (7,000mcg)
Our final ingredient in this protective tour de force is another essential mineral for the body. In addition to helping give you a shiny coat, selenium can improve skin elasticity and prevent the spread of acne.
To get maximum protection for those vital organs, you’ll need to pop NINE of these capsules each day – but if you couldn’t tell, there’s a lot of ingredients here!
This large dose should come as no surprise – soon we’ll be covering an article on PCT, or Post Cycle Therapy, and the fact is that there are always several things you must do to get your system recovered from a cycle. It’s not just a “take this one thing and you’ll be fine” kind of situation.
By covering so many bases, 5% Nutrition provides an excellent start to those who need to pair their over-the-counter and prescription-based PCTs with additional liver and heart support that is so badly needed by the most “aggressive” of hormone users.
Rich Piana and 5% Nutrition have continued their trend of not only providing unique and intriguing supplements, but also ones that can benefit us OUTSIDE of our time in the weight room.
Far too many lifters are only interested in the one hour that’s spent in the gym and not on the 23 hours spent recovering and growing. Far too many lifters are worried about their ON cycle and not what’s going on with the rest of their body.
Rich takes care of his “bros” who are too busy to worry about ensuring their optimal health by providing a catch-all supplement that will keep you fit and healthy long into your golden years!
Liver and Organ Defender - Best Deals and Price Drop Notifications
Get Price Alerts
No spam, no scams.
Like this Post? We have more on the way…
PricePlow is a price comparison site that asks one simple question: is this worth it?
The honest truth lives here. Follow us on social media below:
- Ozaras R1, et al; N-acetylcysteine attenuates alcohol-induced oxidative stress in the rat. World J Gastroenterol. (2003)
- Caro AA1, et al; N-acetylcysteine inhibits the up-regulation of mitochondrial biogenesis genes in livers from rats fed ethanol chronically . Alcohol Clin Exp Res. (2014)
- Aydin S1, et al; N-acetylcysteine reduced the effect of ethanol on antioxidant system in rat plasma and brain tissue . Tohoku J Exp Med. (2002)
- Winterbourn CC1, Metodiewa D; The reaction of superoxide with reduced glutathione . Arch Biochem Biophys. (1994)
- Cardey B1, Foley S, Enescu M; Mechanism of thiol oxidation by the superoxide radical . J Phys Chem A. (2007)
- G D X, et al; Alpha-lipoic acid improves endothelial dysfunction in patients with subclinical hypothyroidism . Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. (2010)
- Chang SH, et al; Garlic Oil Alleviates MAPKs- and IL-6-mediated Diabetes-related Cardiac Hypertrophy in STZ-induced DM Rats . Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. (2011)
- Budoff MJ, et al; Inhibiting progression of coronary calcification using Aged Garlic Extract in patients receiving statin therapy: a preliminary study . Prev Med. (2004)
- Adler AJ, Holub BJ; Effect of garlic and fish-oil supplementation on serum lipid and lipoprotein concentrations in hypercholesterolemic men . Am J Clin Nutr. (1997)
- Jacka FN, et al; Association between magnesium intake and depression and anxiety in community-dwelling adults: the Hordaland Health Study . Aust N Z J Psychiatry. (2009)
- Mathers TW, Beckstrand RL Oral magnesium supplementation in adults with coronary heart disease or coronary heart disease risk . J Am Acad Nurse Pract. (2009)
- Corica F, et al Magnesium concentrations in plasma, erythrocytes, and platelets in hypertensive and normotensive obese patients . Am J Hypertens. (1997)
- Rosenfeldt F, et al Coenzyme Q10 therapy before cardiac surgery improves mitochondrial function and in vitro contractility of myocardial tissue . J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. (2005)
- Watts GF, et al Coenzyme Q(10) improves endothelial dysfunction of the brachial artery in Type II diabetes mellitus . Diabetologia. (2002)
- Mabuchi H, et al Effects of CoQ10 supplementation on plasma lipoprotein lipid, CoQ10 and liver and muscle enzyme levels in hypercholesterolemic patients treated with atorvastatin: a randomized double-blind study . Atherosclerosis. (2007)
- Bertaccini A1, et al; Observational database serenoa repens (DOSSER): overview, analysis and results. A multicentric SIUrO (Italian Society of Oncological Urology) project . Arch Ital Urol Androl. (2012)
- Koh JH, et al; Antifatigue and antistress effect of the hot-water fraction from mycelia of Cordyceps sinensis . Biol Pharm Bull. (2003)
- Li Y1, et al Clinical application of Cordyceps sinensis on immunosuppressive therapy in renal transplantation . Transplant Proc. (2009)
- Dreno B, et al Acne: evolution of the clinical practice and therapeutic management of acne between 1996 and 2000 . Eur J Dermatol. (2003)
- Sharquie KE, Khorsheed AA, Al-Nuaimy AA Topical zinc sulphate solution for treatment of viral warts . Saudi Med J. (2007)
- Crutchfield CE 3rd, Lewis EJ, Zelickson BD The highly effective use of topical zinc pyrithione in the treatment of psoriasis: a case report . Dermatol Online J. (1997)
- Wang, A; A dual effect of N-acetylcysteine on acute ethanol-induced liver damage in mice.; Hepatol Res. 2006 Mar;34(3):199-206; Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16439183