When we released the latest version of our Top 10 Pre Workouts list, there was one product in there that nobody saw coming in the non-DMAA side of things.
So here’s the story.
Recently, we came across a new supplement company titled ATP Nutrition, short for Aspire. Train. Perform. ATP was founded by Daniel Valdez, a former military vet and active duty firefighter that’s committed to bring transparently labeled, efficaciously dosed supplements to the market.
The brand currently has a dynamite performance-enhancing pre workout titled Perform Kinetics as its lone supplement, but it’s got several other product currently in development.
When we say performance enhancing, this product is all about immediate effectiveness during your workout, and it delivers 10 fold!
TL;DR: Analysis AND Review incoming on this page!
In short, we are loving this stuff, despite the taste from the high-dose TeaCrine®… but that’s also WHY we loved it!
We’ve got the full rundown and our review ahead, but before we get to it, take a moment to check the best deal in our stores:
Perform Kinetics - Best Deals and Price Drop Notifications
Get Price Alerts
No spam, no scams.
The ingredients are below, but if you want to skip down to our review, click here.
Perform Kinetics Ingredients
Perform Kinetics everything you would possibly want immediately preceding a tough workout. This is a truly a performance-enhancing pre workout — meaning no “saturation” based ingredients like creatine or beta alanine, only ingredients that acutely affect your workout. Feast your eyes on this label boys and girls, it doesn’t get much more perfect than this!
Note: The Strawberry Kiwi and Wildberry Punch flavors contain Pikatropin; however, due to the recent ban on this ingredient, we expect future runs of the product to no longer contain this ingredient.
MultiPath Pump Matrix
Citrulline Malate 2:1 (6g)
Perform Kinetics kicks things off with a hefty 6g dose of the supreme nitric oxide booster Citrulline Malate. A superior alternative to Arginine, CitMal improves N.O. production, vasodilation, blood flow, energy production, and most of all makes for some monstrous PUMPS during your workout.[2,3,4]
This is how you want your performance-based pre workouts to start!
HydroMax® Glycerol Powder (1.5g)
HydroMax is a high-yield form of glycerol that contains 65% of the compound by mass, as opposed to Glycerol Monostearate (GMS) which only has at most 25% glycerol by mass.
HydroMax® essentially turns your muscle into a sponge, allowing it to absorb lots of water for better hydration and some epic water-based pumps.[5,6]
Make sure to drink at least 16oz of water with HydroMax® though, otherwise you won’t see it’s water-retaining properties.
Agmatine Sulfate (1g)
Agmatine is a neuroregulator / neuromodulator that enhances focus, but moreso acts as a nitric-oxide extender due to agmatine’s ability to inhibit arginase, the enzyme responsible for N.O. degradation.
This prolongs the effects of Citrulline Malate and makes for denser, harder, and longer-lasting pumps during your workout.
N-Acetyl L-Cysteine (600mg)
N-Acetyl L-Cysteine (NAC) is an amino acid and also the rate-limiting substrate in the biosynthesis of glutathione, a powerful antioxidant in the body. More importantly, NAC doubles down on the nitric oxide production in the body, but works via a different pathway known as S-nitrosylation.[8,9]
This provides us not one, but two paths for N.O. production in the body leading to markedly increased vascularity, energy production, and pumps!
Active Endure Matrix
An ingredient not included often enough for our liking is the endurance booster, Creatinol-O-Phosphate (COP). COP prevents the pH level in skeletal muscle from lowering too much, thereby creating an acidic environment, and leading to a “burning sensation” in the muscle. Countering the pH drop helps the muscle continue operating a peak output for longer bouts.[10,11]
Much like HydroMax above, taurine also acts as a cell volumizer in skeletal muscle which helps improve hydration and endurance. This conditionally essential amino acid also helps elevate focus since vast stores are found in the brain.
Rhodiola Rosea (200mg)
Rhodiola is one of the best known adaptogens around, and lauded for its ability to help the body deal with all kinds of emotional, psychological, and physiological stressors. It also helps boost mood via its actions on the dopamine, serotonin, and acetylcholine neurotransmitter systems.
Lastly, rhodiola increases athletic performance and supports glucose uptake in skeletal muscle.[16,17]
AlphaSize® AlphaGPC (300mg)
When looking to boost focus, choline is the way to go, and AlphaGPC is the gold standard of the various choline forms. It has high bioavailability in the body, and in addition to improving the mind-muscle connection, it also increases force production, and post workout Growth Hormone levels.[18,19,20]
Huperzine A 1% (10mg)
Similar to how agmatine’s relationship to Citrulline Malate, is Huperzine’s relationship to AlphaGPC. Where agmatine inhibiting nitric oxide breakdown, Huperzine prevent degradation of acetylcholine via acetylcholinesterase inhibition.
Infinergy® Dicaffeine Malate (150mg)
Slower acting form of caffeine that’s bonded to malic acid. Infinergy contains 73% caffeine by mass, which gives us 109.5mg to start with.
Caffeine Anhydrous (100mg)
Fast acting form of caffeine for an immediate surge of energy. This isn’t a crazy amount, and just a touch over what you’d get in a standard 6-8oz cup of drip coffee.
Xanthine-like molecule remarkably similar to caffeine, but longer lasting and doesn’t come with the tolerance buildup like caffeine does. Additionally, theacrine also help combat oxidative stress and improve mood and focus.[23,24]
The dose here is the real key. 100mg is where it’s at with TeaCrine® to really feel any of the long-lasting energy, and focus enhancing properties. It’s notoriously hard to flavor, and does impact the overall flavor of Perform Kinetics, but not so much so that it is not enjoyable to drink. Besides, we’ll take some “off flavor” if it means a fully dosed ingredient!
Pateneted form of black pepper extract commonly used absorption enhancer to improve the bioavailability of the other compounds included in Perform Kinetics.
Rauwolfia Vomitoria (750mcg)
Rauwolfia is a plant standardized to 90% Alpha-Yohimbine. It acts as a powerful CNS stimulant and alpha receptor agonist that improves mood, lowers body weight and decreases pain sensitivity.
Perform Kinetics is currently available in three flavors:
- Strawberry Kiwi
- Wildberry Punch
- Cherry Limeade
Note: Cherry Limeade does not contain Pikatropin.
I’ll start this review off by saying that I’ve been absolutely loving this pre workout as of late. Something about the formula just fits everything I’m looking for, simple as that.
Like all good pre workouts, the energy increase ramps up slowly due to the combination of caffeine anhydrous and dicaffeine malate. Don’t be thrown off by the 200mg total content though, as it’s backed by a long-lasting 100mg of Theacrine.
I always poo-pooed theacrine as a worthwhile ingredient, until I finally had it dosed at the appropriate level, i.e. 100mg. Typically pre workouts only sprinkle in 25-50mg of the stuff and you don’t get any noticeable effect or benefit from it. Not here! You’ll definitely feel significantly improved focus and sustained energy throughout your workout from the full 100mg dose.
The focus definitely noticeable in Perform Kinetics as it gives a good bit of mental drive right out the gate and lasts well after the workout. You feel in the zone from start to finish and you just want to keep pushing through the workout, not really stopping to do anything but catch your breath between sets.
Perform Kinetics also provides a very strong and dense pump, not balloon-like, but very hard and “centered” in the muscle. The pump starts to build after your first few warm up sets and grows from there, but never so much that it hinders contraction of the muscle or makes reps hard to fully complete. I’m not a pump-fiend by nature, so I typically don’t care much for pumps (unless they just make things uncomfortable), but the pumps generated from Perform Kinetics was the perfect amount for me.
Now, for the most significant benefit of Perform Kinetics — performance! Here is where this pre workout shines above the rest. At no time during the workout do you feel exhausted or dragging between sets, even during supersets or shortened rest periods. Perform Kinetics is all about performance, and you’ll notice a significant change in your intra workout endurance, strength, and power output. You’ll be able to up your weights and maintain that level of strength output for the duration of your workout, consistently hitting every set of the workout at full steam. This is a true performance-enhancing pre workout!
The one area where Perform Kinetics could use some improvement, is in the flavoring department. The only drawback to including the full 100mg of Theacrine is that it does give a small “off flavor” to the product, not terribly so, just enough to notice it. That being said, the 100mg of theacrine is what makes this product so effective at sustaining energy and focus through the workout, so I’ll gladly deal with a little “off” flavor if it means superior performance during the workout!
If you can’t tell by now, this is one of my all-time favorite pre workouts, and I’ve hit several PRs during the weeks I’ve been using Perform Kinetics. In fact, it’s the top non-DMAA/DMHA pre workout I can remember using in recent years! I flat out love the way I feel on Perform Kinetics and the workouts have been phenomenal!
Let me get the bad part out of the way – I have cherry limeade at home right now — a flavor I already don’t like — and there’s not many pre workouts that taste worse than this.
But I’ll be damned if I don’t keep coming back to the stuff.
I give all credit to Robert for figuring out that 100mg TeaCrine is where it’s at, because Perform Kinetics just feels GOOD, yet without the rush or insanity of DMAA or DMHA.
It’s a well-formulated powder product with more TeaCrine than the rest of the market, and the difference shows. It lasts a really long time (no late night workouts with this one), but is a solid choice for anyone who gets anxious with the next-level stims.
So if you’re done with the mainstream stuff, but not yet ready to go crazy with something like Mesomorph or Giant RIOT, consider this your go-between.
I will say this though — the first brand/flavorist who can flavor larger doses of TeaCrine to not taste like anything is going to be a huge winner.
But until then, I’m happy to deal with it on certain days, because the stuff’s got legs and once it’s down the pipe, I’m in a pretty good place for at least four hours.
Perform Kinetics - Best Deals and Price Drop Notifications
Get Price Alerts
No spam, no scams.
Like this Post? We have more on the way…
PricePlow is a price comparison site that asks one simple question: is this worth it?
The honest truth lives here. Follow us on social media below:
- Curis E., et. al; “Citrulline and the gut;”; Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care; September 2007
- Wilson GJ1, Layman DK, Moulton CJ, Norton LE, Anthony TG, Proud CG, Rupassara SI, Garlick PJ. Leucine or carbohydrate supplementation reduces AMPK and eEF2 phosphorylation and extends postprandial muscle protein synthesis in rats. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2011 Dec;301(6):E1236-42
- Bailey SJ, Blackwell JR, Lord T, Vanhatalo A, Winyard PG, Jones AM. l-Citrulline supplementation improves O2 uptake kinetics and high-intensity exercise performance in humans. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2015 Aug 15;119(4):385-95
- Pérez-Guisado J, Jakeman PM. Citrulline malate enhances athletic anaerobic performance and relieves muscle soreness. J Strength Cond Res. 2010 May;24(5):1215-22.
- van Rosendal, S; Guidelines for glycerol use in hyperhydration and rehydration associated with exercise.; School of Human Movement Studies, The University of Queensland; 2010
- Wingo, J; Influence of a Pre-Exercise Glycerol Hydration Beverage on Performance and Physiologic Function During Mountain-Bike Races in the Heat; University of Connecticut, Department of Sport, Leisure, & Exercise Science; 2004
- Demady, D; Agmatine enhances the NADPH oxidase activity of neuronal NO synthase and leads to oxidative inactivation of the enzyme.; Department of Pharmacology, The University of Michigan Medical School; 2001
- Silva, M.P. da, Cedraz-Mercez, P.L., & Varanda, W.A.. (2014). Effects of nitric oxide on magnocellular neurons of the supraoptic nucleus involve multiple mechanisms. Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, 47(2), 90-100. http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0100-879X2014000200090
- Tummala M, Ryzhov V, Ravi K, Black SM. Identification of the Cysteine Nitrosylation Sites in Human Endothelial Nitric Oxide Synthase. DNA and Cell Biology. 2008;27(1):25-33. doi:10.1089/dna.2007.0655. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3893892/
- Gaggino R, Delfino C, Menichetti G, Odaglia G, Metabolic aspects of anaerobic lactaid maximal sport performances. Effect of treatment with Creatinol O-Phosphate. Medicina dello sport. 1984; 37: 85-92
- De Gasperi R, Giusti V, Rapelli S, Matriadonna C. Influenza del creatinolo o-fosfato sulla contrazione muscolare aspettin biochimica. Archivio Medicina interna. 1981; 3: 351-358
- Hoffmann, E.K., I.H. Lambert, and S.F. Pedersen, Physiology of cell volume regulation in vertebrates. Physiol Rev, 2009. 89(1)
- Alford, C., H. Cox, and R. Wescott, The effects of red bull energy drink on human performance and mood. Amino Acids, 2001. 21(2)
- Khanum F., et. al.; Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety; “Rhodiola rosea: A versatile Adaptogen;” 2005
- Shevtsov VA, et al; Phytomedicine; “A randomized trial of two different doses of Rhodiola rosea extract versus placebo and control of capacity for mental work;” 2003
- De Bock K. et al. Acute Rhodiola rosea intake can improve endurance exercise performance. International Journal of Sport Nutrition & Exercise Metabolism 14 (3), 298–307. 2004.
- Li HB et al. Salidroside stimulated glucose uptake in skeletal muscle cells by activating AMP-activated protein kinase. Eur J Pharmacol. 2008 Jul 7;588(2-3):165-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ejphar.2008.04.036. Epub 2008 Apr 20.
- Acute supplementation with alpha-glycerylphosphorylcholine augments growth hormone response to, and peak force production during, resistance exercise.
- Alpha-Glycerylphosphorylcholine administration increases the GH responses to GHRH of young and elderly subjects.
- Effect of L-alpha-glyceryl-phosphorylcholine on amnesia caused by scopolamine.
- Zhao, Q; Effects of huperzine A on acetylcholinesterase isoforms in vitro: comparison with tacrine, donepezil, rivastigmine and physostigmine.; State Key Laboratory of Drug Research, Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences; 2002
- Cauli, O;Subchronic caffeine exposure induces sensitization to caffeine and cross-sensitization to amphetamine ipsilateral turning behavior independent from dopamine release.; Department of Toxicology and Centre of Excellence for Neurobiology of Dependence, University of Cagliari; 2008
- Li WX, et al.; “Theacrine, a purine alkaloid obtained from Camellia assamica var. kucha, attenuates restraint stress-provoked liver damage in mice.“; J Agric Food Chem.; 2013
- Feduccia A, et al.; “Locomotor activation by theacrine, a purine alkaloid structurally similar to caffeine: involvement of adenosine and dopamine receptors.”; Pharmacol Biochem Behav; 2012