This one’s sure to cause a stir!
If you’ve been following our other posts on Apollon Nutrition, you’re quite aware that this New Jersey-based brand isn’t playing any games. Their products are incredibly well dosed, fully disclosed, and very aggressive.
But, none of the previous posts have prepared you for the brand’s extremely high-energy pre workout supplement Hooligan, which features a heart-pounding 600mg caffeine per scoop!
That’s not a typo. Apollon has doubled the standard caffeine dose we see in pre workouts, so clearly this one’s not for rookies. But if you can handle that much caffeine (or even ⅔ of a scoop), then you may just see some calcium channel induced acute strength gains from this behemoth!
We’ve got WAY more on this one down below, but first, take a moment to check the best deal and sign up for alerts from PricePlow:
Hooligan - Best Deals and Price Drop Notifications
Get Price Alerts
No spam, no scams.
We mentioned it up top, but the headline with Hooligan is the 600mg caffeine per scoop! Provided you can handle that much all at once, you’ll be well rewarded with a fully loaded pre workout that enhances performance, pumps, focus, and energy.
Citrulline Malate (6g)Hooligan comes out the gate strong with a strong 6g dose of nitric oxide-boosting Citrulline Malate. It’s far and away better than L-Arginine for enhancing blood flow, vasodilation, and pumps due to citrulline’s superior bioavailability.
Aside from monstrous pumps, Citrulline Malate also improves endurance, energy production, and overall athletic performance.[2,3] The 6g dose of CitMal here is 1:1, which contains 3g of pure L-Citrulline to get your blood flowing and veins popping.
Of course, the less Hooligan you use here (if you were to avoid the full dose of caffeine), the less pumps you’ll get. So whether or not this is a “balanced” pre workout depends on if you want so much caffeine or not!
CarnoSyn® Beta Alanine (3g)
Combat athletes are constantly on the move training or fighting, and in line with that, you’re going to need endurance, and A LOT of it! Including the best known endurance-maximizer is a no brainer!
Beta Alanine increases lactic acid removal and helps offset the “burning” sensation that hits your muscles when exercising for prolonged periods of time. It doesn’t just benefit fighters though, BA also it works for any athlete looking to improve strength, endurance, and time to exhaustion.
Leucine is the main stimulator of the mTOR pathway in the body, which helps ensure you’re staying anabolic even during the longest training sessions. This helps keep your body out of catabolism, and more geared towards building muscle.
As we’re discovering with our new interest in keto supplements and the keto diet, L-Leucine is a ketogenic amino acid, and not a glucogenic one. This means that it doesn’t get converted to glucose for energy, which could be good depending on your dietary methods.
Realize that many users at Apollon Gym are fighters who need to cut weight, so Hooligan can help both with the intense energy side as well as the weight side of things!
Creatine HCl (2g)
Creatine HCl is widely used and championed by those turned off by monohydrate due to fears of bloating or GI distress — we tend to think that’s a bit overblown though.
Anyway, the leading “alternative form” of creatine, Creatine HCl offers greater solubility than creatine monohydrate, but no necessarily greater efficacy. 2g is an ok dose, but you’ll still need to add a bit of bulk creatine to get your daily 3-5g.
Hooligan is doubling down on your workout pumps with the addition of a full gram of Agmatine. It functions as a great “extender” of nitric oxide by way of inhibiting arginase, the enzyme that degrades arginine. Agmatine also serves as a neurotransmitter / neuromodulator too, which adds a bit extra focus to Hooligan too!
The Agmatine + Citrulline combo is incredibly potent, and one we’ve enjoyed a great deal. The 1g dose is considerably greater than most other pre workout supplements on the market too.
Choline Bitartrate (1g)
Choline is an incredibly popular nootropic often added to pre workouts to aid focus and enhance the all-too-important “mind-muscle” connections. The bitartrate form is on the lower end of bioavailability for choline forms, Alpha GPC being our preferred form, which means you’ll need a larger dose compared to the more bioavailable forms to really “feel” it.
Fortunately, Hooligan contains 1g of Choline Bitartrate, which is a good deal more than typically used in other pre workouts.
Another proven focus booster, L-Tyrosine is the preferred form of tyrosine when looking to increase plasma levels of this focus-boosting amino acid. Tyrosine increases awareness due to its ability to increase dopamine and noradrenaline — catecholamines which aid focus, concentration, and alertness.
You’re not seeing things, that’s an actual 600mg caffeine per serving of Hooligan!
This amount is sure to send even the hardcore stim fiends out there flying. Based on this, we STRONGLY recommend starting with ¼-½ scoop even if you’re a grizzled stim vet! But, it’s not just pure energy you’re getting, you’re also getting a serious strength boost!
When consuming at least 400mg caffeine at a time, its ability to activate the calcium channel in your muscle fibers has been well documented to significantly enhance strength output.[17,18]
Up next, is a beta-receptor agonist extracted from Citrus Aurantium, not synephrine, but Hordenine. Similar to synephrine, Hordenine stimulates lipolysis, but more importantly, it increases energy expenditure, and operates as a noradrenaline reuptake modulator — sustained noradrenaline’s actions in the body..[11,12]
BioPerine is the industry-leading black pepper extract frequently added to enhance other ingredients bioavailability in the body. BioPerine does this by inhibiting certain enzymes which left unchecked would rapidly degrade the other compound in Hooligan.
As if 600mg caffeine and hordenine wasn’t enough, Hooligan also includes the extremely powerful Yohimbe extract. Yohimbe is an effective fat storage blocker and appetite suppressant commonly encountered in fat burners, but it’s also an incredibly potent stim too.
Unfortunately, we don’t know how much yohimbine is in Hooligan, due to the standardization not being disclosed. We’d guess there’s anywhere between 1.5-3mg of yohimbine judging by how aggressive Apollon is with the stimulants.
Huperzine A (50mcg)
The last ingredient in Hooligan is another powerful focus aid, the nootropic Huperzine A. Prized for its ability to sustain acetylcholine levels in the body, Huperzine indirectly supports acetylcholine production by inhibiting acetylcholinesterase, the enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine.
Additionally, Huperzine also protects the brain from glutamine, the “neuron death molecule” glutamine, and can supports the creation of new brain cells “neurogenerative”.
Apollon has created two flavors for their headline-grabbing pre workout:
- Strawberry Margarita
- Orange Mango
Well, who’s ready to try a 600mg hit of caffeine immediately prior to leg day?! If you can handle it, you’re going to love the acute strength increases that may come along!
If Apollon Nutrition hadn’t grabbed your attention yet, they sure as hell have now with Hooligan. Again, we stress to start conservatively with the dosing and work your way up based on your reactions.
Hooligan is very well-dosed, but not for the faint of heart!
Hooligan - Best Deals and Price Drop Notifications
Get Price Alerts
No spam, no scams.
Like this Post? We have more on the way…
PricePlow is a price comparison site that asks one simple question: is this worth it?
The honest truth lives here. Follow us on social media below:
- Curis E., et. al; “Citrulline and the gut;”; Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care; September 2007
- Bailey SJ, Blackwell JR, Lord T, Vanhatalo A, Winyard PG, Jones AM. l-Citrulline supplementation improves O2 uptake kinetics and high-intensity exercise performance in humans. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2015 Aug 15;119(4):385-95
- Pérez-Guisado J, Jakeman PM. Citrulline malate enhances athletic anaerobic performance and relieves muscle soreness. J Strength Cond Res. 2010 May;24(5):1215-22.
- Baguet, A et al.; Journal of Applied Physiology; “Important role of muscle carnosine in rowing performance;” July 2010;” 2005
- Trexler ET, Smith-Ryan AE, Stout JR, et al. International society of sports nutrition position stand: Beta-Alanine. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 2015;12:30. doi:10.1186/s12970-015-0090-y. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4501114/
- Dreyer, H; Resistance exercise increases AMPK activity and reduces 4E-BP1 phosphorylation and protein synthesis in human skeletal muscle; Department of Physical Therapy, University of Texas Medical Branch; 2006
- Demady, D; Agmatine enhances the NADPH oxidase activity of neuronal NO synthase and leads to oxidative inactivation of the enzyme.; Department of Pharmacology, The University of Michigan Medical School; 2001
- E. McGlade, A. Locatelli, J. Hardy, T. Kamiya, M. Morita, K. Morishita, Y. Sugimura and D. Yurgelun-Todd, “Improved Attentional Performance Following Citicoline Administration in Healthy Adult Women,” Food and Nutrition Sciences, Vol. 3 No. 6, 2012, pp. 769-773. doi: 10.4236/fns.2012.36103.
- Nakashima A, et al. Role of N-terminus of tyrosine hydroxylase in the biosynthesis of catecholamines. J Neural Transm. (2009)
- Frank M, et al; Hordenine: pharmacology, pharmacokinetics and behavioural effects in the horse; Equine Vet J. (1990)
- Barwell C.; School of Pharmacy; “Deamination of hordenine by monoamine oxidase and its action on vasa deferentia of the rat;” 1989
- Nedergaard O.; British Journal of Pharmacology; “Action of various sympathomimetic amines on the isolated stripped vas deferens of the guinea-pig;” November 1968
- Cameron, OG, et. al; “Effects of yohimbine on cerebral blood flow, symptoms, and physiological functions in humans”; Psychosomatic Medicine; July-August 2000; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10949101
- Zhao, Q; Effects of huperzine A on acetylcholinesterase isoforms in vitro: comparison with tacrine, donepezil, rivastigmine and physostigmine.; State Key Laboratory of Drug Research, Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences; 2002
- Ved, H; Huperzine A, a potential therapeutic agent for dementia, reduces neuronal cell death caused by glutamate.; Division of Biochemistry, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research; 1997
- Ma, T; Huperzine A promotes hippocampal neurogenesis in vitro and in vivo.; State Key Laboratory of Biomembrane and Membrane Biotechnology, School of Life Sciences, Tsinghua University; 2013
- McCormack, William P, and Hoffman, Jay R; “Caffeine, Energy Drinks, and Strength-Power Performance”; Strength and Conditioning Journal; August 2012; Volume 34, Issue 4, 11–16; http://journals.lww.com/nsca-scj/Fulltext/2012/08000/Caffeine,_Energy_Drinks,_and_Strength_Power.3.aspx, full-text at http://education.ucf.edu/iepw/docs/Caffeine,_Energy_Drinks,_and_Strength_Power.3.pdf (archived at http://www.webcitation.org/6k9wFmbwF)