Ape Shit (n.) — express wild excitement or anger.
Well, the day is at hand… a company finally made a pre workout called Ape Shit!
What brand is behind this madness?
None other than young upstart Untamed Labs, a “sub brand” that’s a part of the Primeval Labs family of companies.
Now, we know what you’re thinking — “this product is just capitalizing on the catchy name, but the formula is crap just like every other cleverly-named pre workout.”
Well, you couldn’t be more mistaken! Untamed (Primeval) isn’t playing any games here. Ape Sh*t is very well dosed and should make you want to go ape during your training sessions!
We’ve got all the details below on Ape Sh*t, but first, take a moment to check the best deal and sign up for PricePlow alerts:
Ape Sh*t - Best Deals and Price Drop Notifications
Get Price Alerts
No spam, no scams.
You can also check out PrimevalLabs.com to compare against our coupons for the best deal.
Our Ape Shit Pre Workout Review
Quite a product — especially for Robert!
Ape Shit Ingredients
Ape Shit’s ingredients panel is a tale of two labels. The first half is disclosed, so we can see how much pumps and ergogenics we’re getting, but the latter half of the blend (the Ape S*** blend) is proprietary, but the saving grace is that Untamed Labs has disclosed the caffeine content per 2 scoops (~274mg).
Note: Doses listed below are based on 1 full serving (i.e. 2 scoops). You’ll get 20 of those 2-scoop servings per tub.
Ape Sh*t starts the havoc right off the bat with an impressive 4.5g of L-Citrulline per scoops. L-Citrulline is a powerful nitric oxide booster, that’s much more effective and bioavailable than L-Arginine. With more N.O. coarsing through your body, you’ll have better blood flow, vascularity, and best of all, PUMPS!
That’s not all for L-Cit though, it’s also a valuable performance-booster, as it can increase endurance, support lean body mass, and improve energy production, for better workouts.[2,3]
Beta Alanine (3.2g)
Looking to last longer… in the gym?
Then you need beta alanine, the top endurance-boosting compound on the market. Beta alanine increases muscle carnosine levels in the body, which helps fend off hydrogen (H+) ions accumulation during exercise. This helps stunt the drop in pH in muscle tissue, which offsets the painful “burning” sensation that sets in mid set, ultimately forcing you to end the set.
Beta Alanine increases your capacity to train by enhancing your strength, endurance and stamina, no matter what sport you’re a part of.[5,6,7]
Just be aware that if you’re doing the full 2 scoops of Ape Shit, you might be in store for some tingles courtesy of the full clinical dose of Beta Alanine.
Ape Sh*t also packs some water-based pumps to go along with the N.O.-fueled pumps of L-Citrulline thanks to Taurine, a conditionally essential amino acid. In skeletal muscle tissue, taurine functions as an osmolyte, which encourages your muscles to soak up extra water. The end results of this is better hydration, endurance, pumps, and muscle fullness thanks to the cell volumizing effects of Taurine.
Plus, taurine is also found in great amounts in the brain, which means taurine also helps to bolster focus and attention during your workouts as well!
Agmatine functions as a neurotransmitter / neuromodulator in the brain, which means it helps improve focus, but more importantly, it’s here to sustain the nitric oxide pumps started by L-Citrulline all throughout your workout. Agmatine inhibits arginase, the enzyme which degrades arginine, the amino acid that drives N.O. production in the body.
What this means is that agmatine indirectly boosts N.O. levels by negating arginase activity, thus promoting hard, dense, long-lasting pumps and vascularity even after you’ve set the weights down!
This is the main nitric oxide booster in “competing” pre workout Adrenal Rush V2. The biggest difference with this one is that Adrenal Rush didn’t have all the citrulline to complement the agmatine, so overall, Ape Shit’s pumps are looking bigger!
Ape S*** Blend (800mg)
Focus is an essential element of training that’s vastly underutilized by many people. With focus, you get a better mind-muscle connection and in general just a more productive workout. Without it, you might as well just skip the gym entirely.
Choline is a proven focus boosting agent, that helps to increase concentrations of acetylcholine, the “learning neurotransmitter.” The first form of choline in Ape Shit is Choline Bitartrate, a lesser bioavailable form of choline compared to Alpha GPC or Citicoline (which is also included in Ape Shit further down).
Ape Sh*t includes a trifecta of caffeine to provide the primary punch in its pre workout. Each serving provides a proprietary blend of Caffeine Anhydrous, Caffeine Citrate, and Infinergy (Dicaffeine Malate). This provides a pleasant combination of immediate “getty up” along with sustained energy to help you really go ape shit in the gym.
Total yield per 2 scoops is ~ 274mg caffeine per Untamed Labs.
Yohimbine is a powerful CNS stimulant and Alpha-2 adrenoceptor antagonist that increases adrenaline (epinephrine) and noradrenaline (norepinephrine) levels in the body. This ignites your body’s “fight or flight” response, leading to heightened alertness, energy, and motivation.
Yohimbine also encourages fat burning by preventing your fat cells’ alpha receptors from inhibiting fat loss. When used alongside caffeine, the two make for a potent 1-2 energy punch that will have you going ape like never before.
More choline? Absolutely.
Citicoline is the second form of choline in Ape Sh*t, and one of our top forms of choline supplements (Alpha GPC being the other). Citicoline is incredibly bioavailable and serves the same roles as choline bitartrate did above (better focus, increased attention, etc).
We just wish that this was the sole form of choline included since it’s the more effective form when used in a lower dose compared to bitartrate, but we’ll take this ingredient whenever and wherever we can get it!
To help sustain the effects of the dual choline forms in Ape Shit, Untamed Labs has included the acetylcholine extender Huperzine. Also known as Toothed Club Moss, Huperzine is an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, which means it inhibits the actions of the enzyme that degrades acetylcholine in the body.
This ultimately preserves the actions of acetylcholine, ensuring long-lasting focus and concentration during even the longest workouts.
Currently, Ape Sh*t only comes in one flavor — Strawberry Lemonade. See our review for our full thoughts, but this flavoring is on point!
Untamed Labs has also mentioned to us that several other flavors are currently being vetted, including a tropical one or two!
Well, someone was going to eventually make a pre workout named Ape Shit, and we’re just glad the product is an incredibly solid one. Too often when a pre workout uses a catchy name or phrase it turns out to be utter crap — that’s not the case with Ape Shit.
The profile, taste, and most importantly, effectiveness is top notch and places Ape Sh*t in the top tier of pre workouts available on the market.
But if you’re a Primeval Labs fan, should you get this or Adrenal Rush V2? Depends who you ask. In our review, Robert was all about this one for the added caffeine and citrulline, but Mike was more for Adrenal Rush V2 thanks to the “bonus stim” beta agonists. So go with what you feel is best for you!
Ape Sh*t - Best Deals and Price Drop Notifications
Get Price Alerts
No spam, no scams.
Like this Post? We have more on the way…
PricePlow is a price comparison site that asks one simple question: is this worth it?
The honest truth lives here. Follow us on social media below:
- Curis E., et. al; “Citrulline and the gut;”; Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care; September 2007
- Bailey SJ, Blackwell JR, Lord T, Vanhatalo A, Winyard PG, Jones AM. l-Citrulline supplementation improves O2 uptake kinetics and high-intensity exercise performance in humans. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2015 Aug 15;119(4):385-95
- Pérez-Guisado J, Jakeman PM. Citrulline malate enhances athletic anaerobic performance and relieves muscle soreness. J Strength Cond Res. 2010 May;24(5):1215-22.
- Baguet, A et al.; Journal of Applied Physiology; “Important role of muscle carnosine in rowing performance;” July 2010;” 2005
- Roger C. Harris; et al.; “The effect of a supplement containing β-alanine on muscle carnosine synthesis, ventilatory threshold and exercise capacity in Korean cyclists, during 12 weeks combined endurance and weight training“
- Hill, CA et al.; Amino Acids; “Influence of beta-alanine supplementation on skeletal muscle carnosine concentrations and high intensity cycling capacity ;” February 2007
- Kendrick IP, et al. The effects of 10 weeks of resistance training combined with beta-alanine supplementation on whole body strength, force production, muscular endurance and body composition. Amino Acids. (2008)
- Hoffmann, E.K., I.H. Lambert, and S.F. Pedersen, Physiology of cell volume regulation in vertebrates. Physiol Rev, 2009. 89(1)
- Alford, C., H. Cox, and R. Wescott, The effects of red bull energy drink on human performance and mood. Amino Acids, 2001. 21(2)
- Demady, D; Agmatine enhances the NADPH oxidase activity of neuronal NO synthase and leads to oxidative inactivation of the enzyme.; Department of Pharmacology, The University of Michigan Medical School; 2001
- E. McGlade, A. Locatelli, J. Hardy, T. Kamiya, M. Morita, K. Morishita, Y. Sugimura and D. Yurgelun-Todd, “Improved Attentional Performance Following Citicoline Administration in Healthy Adult Women,” Food and Nutrition Sciences, Vol. 3 No. 6, 2012, pp. 769-773. doi: 10.4236/fns.2012.36103.
- Hedner T, et al. Yohimbine pharmacokinetics and interaction with the sympathetic nervous system in normal volunteers. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. (1992)
- Zhao, Q; Effects of huperzine A on acetylcholinesterase isoforms in vitro: comparison with tacrine, donepezil, rivastigmine and physostigmine.; State Key Laboratory of Drug Research, Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences; 2002
- Ved, H; Huperzine A, a potential therapeutic agent for dementia, reduces neuronal cell death caused by glutamate.; Division of Biochemistry, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research; 1997
- Ma, T; Huperzine A promotes hippocampal neurogenesis in vitro and in vivo.; State Key Laboratory of Biomembrane and Membrane Biotechnology, School of Life Sciences, Tsinghua University; 2013