We don’t get to write about Controlled Labs often enough on the blog, and that’s really a shame. Unlike other companies that seem to release a new product or line of supplements every other week, CL maintains a low profile and quietly pumps out top quality products.
With their all-natural Venture Bars hitting the market (review coming soon), they’re now picking up speed:
Red Ghost is the newest fat burner from the New York-based supplement giant that replaces Red Acid Reborn. The new fat burner is a BIG step up in terms of effectiveness and number of ingredients over its predecessor and will be sure to please fans of the old product and users looking for a truly effective product.
We’ll get to the breakdown in just a second, but first, make sure to sign up for PricePlow alerts and check the best deal:
Red Ghost - Best Deals and Price Drop Notifications
Get Price Alerts
No spam, no scams.
Red Ghost Ingredients
Red Ghost contains a unique mix of proven thermogenic agents and feel good herbs to help fry fat while also give you a pleasant mood boost. Anyone who’s ever gone on a strict cut before knows how moody you can get dealing with hunger pains. Red Ghost puts and end to all of that and leaves you happy and trim!
Note: Doses listed below are full one full serving of Red Ghost (4 capsules).
GABA, aj.k.a. the “downer” neurotransmitter, is the body’s main inhibitory neurotransmitter. It helps offset the excitatory effects of glutamate in the brain and should help to provide a sense of controlled calm during your workout.
Additional research has shown that GABA supplementation is able to increase post workout Growth Hormone (GH) release. When the body secretes GH it stimulates triglyceride hydrolysis in adipose tissue. Basically, your body pulls fat from the “goo” around your midsection and uses that as a source of fuel.
Uncommon ingredient in fat burners
This is a very unique use for GABA. We’ve never seen it in a fat burner before. It will feel calming, but will it ultimately work for weight loss? Great question — we reached out to Controlled Labs to comment on why exactly they put it in here, and here’s what they had to say:
“GABA is great for enhancing the effects of the stimulants. We used it in the original white flood.” – Controlled Labs
Cayenne Pepper Fruit Extract (400mg)
Cayenne Pepper Extract has some solid science backing it as a potent fat oxidizer. If you’re a fiend for spicy food, you’re most likely aware that capsaicin is the chemical that gives chile peppers their tongue-numbing burn. Aside from igniting your mouth on fire, this fruit extract also burns stored fat and increases overall energy expenditure.
Opting to go with a capsule based fat burner is a smart move on CL’s part. Often times, including high dose of cayenne extract lead to the possibility of heartburn and other unwanted GI distress. Packing it in a capsule mitigates these issues and allows your body to reap all of the fat burning benefits of cayenne without any of the unpleasant gastric upset!
400mg is not a small dose. The “red” feeling is going to be very real here, so those who like the heat from thermogenesis should seriously enjoy this – but note you’ll only get that 400mg when you take the full 4-capsule serving, which also brings 300mg caffeine. Hot indeed.
Cha-de-Bugre Fruit Extract (400mg)
Cha-de-Bugre is a Brazilian plant that goes by many names including pau-cravo, louro-cravo, and louro, among others. It’s traditionally brewed as a tea and used for a wide range of benefits including treating colds, calming nerves, and easing digestive problems.[19,20]
The tea has also been used for its stimulative and diuretic properties. This will help provide a slimming effect and give your muscle a sharper more defined look while on your cut.
As with any other diuretic-based fat burner, make sure you get enough water in at the right times – especially right when you wake up. This might be a good option to try before contest prep (or that beach day).
Bacopa Monnieri Extract (400mg)
Bacopa Monnieri Extract, also known as water hyssop, is a nootropic herb long used in Ayurvedic medicine. Bacopa acts on the dopaminergic and serotonergic systems in the body, but also facilitates better communication between neurons.
Furthermore, Bacopa enhances cognition and alleviates symptoms of stress and anxiety.[5,6] There’s also been some speculation in the research community that the herb works synergistically with caffeine (our next ingredient). This is due to Bacopa’s ability to mitigate spikes in dopamine levels, but this has yet to be conclusively proven.
Caffeine Anhydrous (300mg)
Regular users of pre workouts and fat burners alike are well-acquainted with caffeine. More likely than not, you’re all quite familiar with caffeine’s effects and how it enhances multiple facets of your everyday life. Here’s a few just in case you forgot:
- Increases alertness
- Improves mood
- Boosts metabolism
- Stimulates lipolysis
- Increases energy
300mg is a pretty solid dose of pure caffeine, so if you’re a little on the stim-sensitive side, you may want to start with just one or two capsules (providing 75-150mg caffeine respectively), but for most avid stim users, this amount is A-OK!
Theobroma Cacao Extract (250mg)
Theobroma Cacao is the scientific community’s name for the common cocoa tree, whose beans are used to make cocoa and chocolate. Red Ghost’s theobroma extract is standardized for 6% Theobromine which yields approximately 15mg of theobromine per serving.
Theobromine possesses a bit of a stim-kick on its own, but more likely than not it’s included for its synergistic effects with caffeine to produce an enhanced effect that lasts longer than your standard cup of coffee, as well as a smoother let down when the caffeine hit begins to wane.
Coleus Forskohlii 10% Extract (250mg)
Coleus Forskohlii is a plant rich in a number of compounds known to possess anti-inflammatory, antifungal, and antibacterial properties. Forskolin is the best known of these bioactive compounds and has proven to be one of the few extremely effective stimulant-free weight loss ingredients used in fat burners.[9,10] It’s also excellent for helping preserve muscle mass during a rigorous cut as well!
Forskolin extracts come in varying amounts, and Red Ghost contains an extract that’s standardized for a minimum of 10% Forskolin, coming from Forslean by the Sabinsa Corporation. Although there’s more research on the 10% forskolin (which allows for more claims), first time users of Forskolin may sometimes experience some GI distress, which is why we usually recommend the 95% Forskolin extract, but each person’s biofeedback will be different.
You can read more in our mega-article article titled Forskolin: Coleus Forskohlii’s “Lightning in a Bottle”
Green Bean Coffee Extract (200mg)
Green Coffee Bean Extract (GBCE) is one of those ingredient surrounded by controversy. The initial studies proving it as a “successful” weight loss ingredient have been retracted due to the fact they were based on biased by supplement manufacturers and confounded with other ingredients.
However, the GCBE extract included here is standardized for 50% chlorogenic acids. These compounds have been proven effective for lowering blood pressure and heart health. So, it will impart some health effects in the body, but not so much in terms of weight loss.
Horsetail Extract (100mg)
Horsetail Extract (Equisetum arvense) is an herbal remedy used as far back as the Ancient Romans and Greeks. Traditionally, the herb was used to heal ulcers, stop bleeding, treat diseases like tuberculosis and kidney problems.
It just so happens, the herb also helps you shed unsightly water weight. Horsetail extract eases inflammation in the urinary tract and clinical trials have shown that it’s just as effective as some conventional diuretic medications in increasing urination and reducing swelling in the urinary tract.[13,14]
Including diuretics as part of fat burners is a smart idea for those who struggle to get that cut, dry, and defined look that so many aspire to. Horsetail is an interesting choice that we haven’t seen included in many, if any, other fat burners currently available.
The same warning goes with drinking plenty of water – don’t neglect your hydration status when on diuretics!
Green Tea Leaf Extract (100mg)
Green tea extract is widely recognized for its numerous health benefits and has become a staple ingredient in most thermogenics and fat burners. Controlled Labs is using an extract that’s standardized for 50% EGCG, the most well known of the catechins present in tea leaves.
EGCG promotes lipolytic actions in the body, allowing it to burn fat for fuel.[15,16] But, when paired with caffeine, fat burning properties are enhanced even further!
Lastly, EGCG also can act as a mild carb-blocker. The catechin prevents the body from absorbing various types of carbohydrates due to its interactions with certain digestive enzymes in the body.
We love having this ingredient included in fat burners as it’s safe, effective, and free of side effects for just about everyone.
For your first use, begin by taking 1 capsule to assess your individual tolerance. Provided there are no adverse side effects, you may increase the dosage accordingly.
For Regular Use: Take 4 capsules before breakfast OR lunch. Never exceed 4 capsules per 24 hour period. For best results, Red Ghost™ should be used in combination with other Controlled Labs™ products, at least 8 glasses of liquid per day, regular exercise and a high protein/moderate carbohydrate diet.
Controlled Labs went back to the drawing board when it created Red Ghost. Fans of the old will notice very few ingredients carried over from its predecessor. The result is a highly effective fat burner that will not only help you shed unwanted weight, but also leave you feeling on top of the world.
The big keys here are that 75mg caffeine per capsule allows you some nice customization, there are two diuretics here, and at full-dose, the pepper extract might bring some serious heat. With customizeable dosing, you might even be able to sneak one capsule in later on in the day instead of a diet soda to get you through the evening.
We hope it’s not too long before they release another product, because they’ve been hitting all of them out of the park as of late. More on that when we review the Venture Bars… quite a success given the natural sweetening and other ingredients they used (chocolate chip cookie dough especially).
Red Ghost - Best Deals and Price Drop Notifications
Get Price Alerts
No spam, no scams.
Like this Post? We have more on the way…
PricePlow is a price comparison site that asks one simple question: is this worth it?
The honest truth lives here. Follow us on social media below:
- Petroff OA; GABA and glutamate in the human brain . Neuroscientist. (2002)
- Janssens, P, et. al; “Acute Effects of Capsaicin on Energy Expenditure and Fat Oxidation in Negative Energy Balance“; July 2013
- Vollala VR, Upadhya S, Nayak S; Enhanced dendritic arborization of hippocampal CA3 neurons by Bacopa monniera extract treatment in adult rats . Rom J Morphol Embryol. (2011)
- Vollala VR, Upadhya S, Nayak S; Enhancement of basolateral amygdaloid neuronal dendritic arborization following Bacopa monniera extract treatment in adult rats . Clinics (Sao Paulo). (2011)
- Downey LA, et al; An Acute, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Crossover Study of 320 mg and 640 mg Doses of a Special Extract of Bacopa monnieri (CDRI 08) on Sustained Cognitive Performance . Phytother Res. (2012)
- Baggott, M, et. al; “Psychopharmacology of theobromine in healthy volunteers”; Psychopharmacology; February 2013; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3672386/
- Atta-ur-Rhaman; “Studies in Natural Products Chemistry: Bioactive Natural Products (Part F)”; December 14, 2001; Retrieved fromhttps://books.google.com/books/about/Studies_in_Natural_Products_Chemistry.html?id=M1rgl6TrVYgC
- Watanabe, T; The blood pressure-lowering effect and safety of chlorogenic acid from green coffee bean extract in essential hypertension.; Health Care Products Laboratories, Kao Corporation; 2006
- Pérez Gutiérrez RM, Laguna GY, Walkowski A. Diuretic activity of Mexican equisetum. J Ethnopharmacol. 1985 Nov-Dec;14(2-3):269-72.
- Lemus R, Garcia S, Erazo S, et al. Diuretic activity of an Equisetum bogotense tea (Platero herb): evaluation in healthy volunteers. J Ethnopharmacol. 1996;54:55-8.The Effects of Epigallocatechin-3-Gallate on Thermogenesis and Fat Oxidation in Obese Men: A Pilot Study
- Effects of the long term ingestion of tea catechins on Energy Expenditure and Dietary fat oxidation in healthy subjects
- Wang Y, Yang Z, Wei X; Sugar compositions, α-glucosidase inhibitory and amylase inhibitory activities of polysaccharides from leaves and flowers of Camellia sinensis obtained by different extraction methods . Int J Biol Macromol. (2010)
- Westerterp-Plantenga MS, Lejeune MPGM, Kovacs EMR. Body weight loss and weight maintenance in relation to habitual caffeine intake and green tea supplementation. Obes Res 2005;13(7):1195-1204.
- Juhel C, et al; Green tea extract (AR25) inhibits lipolysis of triglycerides in gastric and duodenal medium in vitro . J Nutr Biochem. (2000)
- Nakaoka-Sakita M, Aguiar OT, Yatagai M, Igarashi T. Óleo essencial de Pimenta pseudocaryophyllus var.pseudocaryophyllus (Gomes) Landrum (Myrtaceae) I: cromatografia a gás/espectrometria de massa (CC/EM)A Revista do Instituto Florestal. 1994;6:53–61
- Lima MEL, Cordeiro I, Young MCM, Sobra MEG, Moreno PRH. Antimicrobial activity of the essential oil from two specimens of Pimenta pseudocaryophyllus (Gomes) L.R. Landrum (Myrtaceae) native from São Paulo State—Brazil. Pharmacologyonline. 2006;3:589–593
- Matsunaga, K., et al. “Excitatory and inhibitory effects of Paraguayan medicinal plants Equisetum giganteum, Acanthpspermum australe, Allophylus edlis and Cordia salicifolia on contraction of rabbit aorta and giunea-pig left atrium.” Natural Medicines1997; 51: 478-481