2015 was a breakout year pre workouts with several knockout additions to the field. Among those was the original DVST8 from Inspired Nutraceuticals. However, the FDA gave us lemons with one of the ingredients, so Inspired Nutra made lemonade with an even better version of this exceptional pre workout!
Stack3d has been talking about this one a ton lately, but it’s better late than never for us. So guess what we’ve got for you today:
The seriously upgraded version from Inspired Nutra known now as DVST8 White Cut. This version has more pump, focus, energy, and mood enhancement than its predecessor thanks to a brand new energy blend that combines three forms of caffeine and 2016’s breakout stimulant DMHA!
The quick review? As always, Stack3d is right — DVST8 is the real deal, and is a perfect blend of next-level energy and pumps.
We’ll get to the breakdown just ahead, but first, make sure to sign up below for PricePlow alerts and to see the best deal!
DVST8 - Best Deals and Price Drop Notifications
Get Price Alerts
No spam, no scams.
The ingredient discussion is below, but first you can check out our review:
Our DVST8 Review
Long story short? Once you find the dosing that works best for you, this is a rock star formula, and California Gold tastes phenomenal despite the massive dose of L-Citrulline:
DVST8 White Cut’s Ingredients
What may grab your attention more than anything when looking at the profile of DVST8 is that it’s well-blended in the stims department with three forms of caffeine, DMHA, alpha-yohimbine, and synephrine! But that’s only the start.
Where other DMHA-based supplements have fallen short so far is on the rest of the stuff, though. Not the case here:
Inspired Nutraceuticals included several proven power and endurance boosters to make White Cut a significant step up from its predecessor. Note here though that to get the full efficacious doses of a few of these ingredients, you’ll have to man up and use 1.5-2 scoops. Note that at two scoops, we’re calculating a total of 325mg caffeine total, some of it being time-released!
You’ve been warned, now let’s get to the fun!
The Truth Matrix
L-Citrulline (4g, 8g)
DVST8 White Cut has switched from Citrulline Malate to pure L-Citrulline here. For pure pump enhancement, it doesn’t get better than this! L-Citrulline is easily absorbed by the body and increases circulating levels of arginine in the body better than the old pump powerhouses such as L-arginine. This leads to greater nitric oxide (NO) production in the body, which increases blood flow to the muscles and results in one serious pump!
But that’s not all, L-Citrulline also improves endurance and ATP production.[2,3,4,5] This all leads to better energy production and performance. Remember, you’ll need at least 2 scoops to get in the 6-8g range required to see these benefits.
Upgrade to pumps without the downgrade to taste!
The switch to straight L-citrulline scared us in the flavor department, because it’s notoriously harder to flavor than the malate version. No worries though: The flavors we’ve tried, especially California Gold, are absolutely awesome.
Betaine Anhydrous (2g, 4g)
Also known as trimethylglycine, betaine anhydrous has really taken off in pre workouts since experience a rebirth in 2015. Numerous studies validate its inclusion in its ability to:
- Enhance muscle protein synthesis
- Increase power output
- Decrease soreness
- Support creatine production in the body
- Improve endurance
Betaine behaves similarly to creatine, and at 1.5 scoops (which is what we’ve enjoyed taking with DVST8), you’ll be set with your 2.5g efficacious dose. However, we still think adding 3-5g creatine every day outside of (or alongside) this product is wise to keep your bases covered. Creatine is cheap anyway.
To learn more about it, see our post titled Betaine: A Safe and Natural Muscle Builder.
CarnoSyn® Beta-Alanine (1.6g, 3.2g)
Beta-alanine binds to histidine and forms carnosine in the body. Carnosine functions as a “buffer” in the body that prevents the buildup of lactic acid (H+ ions) in muscle tissue, and offsetting the “burn” you feel during extended working sets..
Additionally, numerous research studies have been conducted on this tingle-inducing amino that demonstrate its ability to increase power, endurance, strength, and recovery times.[11,12,13,14]
While this is all well and good, if you’re using 2 scoops, you have the sometimes annoying side effect of the “tingles,” especially at this dose. But, to get the real benefits of DVST8, you need to suck it up and learn to embrace the tingles – or mix it with carbs to blunt the tingle!
Taurine (1g, 2g)
Taurine is one of the most abundant amino acids in the body is considered a conditionally essential amino acid. “Conditionally” essential means that during times of extreme physical duress (max rep squats for example), the body can’t make enough to keep up with demands.
Taurine supplementation has been shown to reduce symptoms of DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) and improve cell volumization.[15,16] This leads to more water and nutrients being shuttled into the muscles, further enhancing your pumps and endurance.
Finally, a great concentration of taurine is found in the brain. So, it shouldn’t surprise you that supplementing with this amino acid can improve mental focus.
Raw Coconut Water Concentrate (250mg, 500mg)
Here’s an ingredient that’s been popping up quite a bit lately, particularly in intra workouts. We’re beginning to wonder if this is more of a trend of a fad and companies are capitalizing on the hype, but given the dosing and selection of ingredients in White Cut, we’re beginning to think there actually might be good reasoning for this.
Coconut water is naturally rich in many electrolytes that support hydration levels in the body. One study compared the effectiveness of plain water, a commercial sports drink, coconut water and sodium-enriched coconut water and ultimately concluded that the sodium enhanced variant was just as effective as ingesting a commercial sports drink for overall rehydration after exercise-induced dehydration, but with better fluid tolerance.
If nothing else, it’s amplifying DVST8’s insane tropical flavors. Both California Gold and Pacific Crush have a hint of coconut inside. Might as well use it if you got it!
Theobromine (50mg, 100mg)
Predominantly known as “feel good” ingredient, theobromine is the reason you feel a slight euphoria each time you eat a piece of premium quality dark chocolate. It’s remarkably similar to caffeine, and quite often referred called caffeine’s “younger brother.”
Theobromine acts as a CNS stimulant in the body, though not to the same degree that caffeine does. However, the energy kick from theobromine is much smoother and longer-lasting than it’s harsher acting brother.
Higenamine HCl (20mg, 40mg)
Known around the industry as the “weaker ephedrine”, higenamine is a naturally-occurring alkaloid extracted from lotus seeds and a select group of other plants and fruits. It stimulates both the beta-1 and the beta-2 adrenergic receptors which increases the heart rate and releases a bit of adrenaline. This activation of beta receptors mobilize stored body fat for use as fuel. However, when used alongside caffeine, as it is here, the whole process is cranked up, mobilizing even higher amounts of stored fat.[20,21]
Even though higenamine is nicknamed the “weaker ephedrine,” it carries none of the dangerous side effects, and is backed by research showing it’s incredibly safe.[22,23]
Cocoabuterol® (7.5mg, 15mg)
Cocoabuterol® is a patented ingredient derived from cocoa extract that contains several compounds including N-Coumaroyldopamine, N-Caffeoyldopamine, EGCG, and Theobromine. The two compounds we’re most drawn to are N-coumaroyldopamine and N-caffeoyldopamine, which affect the beta-2 adrenoceptors in the body which trigger both fat loss and muscle growth!
We believe that these are fantastic body recomposition agents (first marketed in the original USPLabs Compound 20 formula, which was awesome) and are now in Inspired Nutra’s KOR Lipolytic Igniter fat burner — our next thermogenic to test.
Additionally, EGCG plays a unique role here as well, as it inhibits the mechanism that breaks down N-coumaroyldopamine and N-caffeoyldopamine.This allows the two primary compounds to stay active longer and enable more fat burning.
ThermoFocus Blast (417.5mg, 835mg)
Caffeine blend (yielding 162.5mg, 325mg total caffeine)
We mentioned at the outset that there would be three forms of caffeine in White Cut. As promised in a single scoop, you get 100mg of anhydrous, 50mg of Dicaffeine Malate (which provides 37.5mg caffeine), and 50mg of Caffeine Citrate (which provides 25mg caffeine), which brings the overall total to around 100+25+37.5 = 162.5mg caffeine for a single scoop and ~325mg for two scoops!
Caffeine improves mental alertness and provides the initial jolt of energy need to kick your training into overdrive. But, caffeine acts as much more to offer than just being a stimulant.
It’s a proven endurance booster, fatigue reducer and strength enhancer, furthering DVST8’s claim to be much more than a simple over-stimmed pre workout product.
What’s up with Dicaffeine Malate and Caffeine Citrate?
So why the other forms of caffeine? Well, these other forms have different digestion / absorption times, and their longer rates of metabolism allows the caffeine high to last longer and without a crash.
However, going fully with dicaffeine malate simply feels too weak, and that’s why we just love these caffeine blends when not overdone. A 50/50 anhydrous/bonded blend is right in the sweet spot, as we’ve seen with other pre workouts on our best pre workout guide.
Meet 2016’s breakout stimulant 2-aminoisoheptane, a.k.a. DMHA! It’s masquerades under a few other monikers as well, which you can read all about in our in-depth DMHA write up.
DMHA belongs to a choice class of compounds known as aliphatic amines, amongst which DMAA is the most famous. As opposed to DMAA having been found in geraniums, DMHA’s found in nature in the Kigelia Africana fruit. The most prominent effect of DMHA is the significant increase in mood that’s unlike anything out there, including DMAA, which provides more of a “zoned in” feeling.
Additionally, DMHA also markedly increases energy and focus leading to some of the most enjoyable (and effective) workouts you’ll ever experience. If you’re new to the realm of aliphatic amines, and DMHA in particular, you’re going to be in for a very special treat!
Consider it like “DMAA-lite”
We consider this a “DMAA-light” type of stimulant — the intensity is definitely less. Some users want to go full stock with DMAA, and there are indeed ultra-intense products for that. Yet others want it a bit toned down, but still more than just caffeine, and that’s where DMHA here comes.
We unfortunately don’t know the dosing that Inspired Nutra used here, but we can tell you that it’s a perfect amount at 1.5-2 scoops for us. Not too much, but it’s definitely there and takes your focus to new levels.
Note: We prefer the name of 2-amino-6-methylheptane for this ingredient, as you can read about in the article linked above.
Synephrine is another beta agonist and it could easily fit into the previous grouping of ingredients alongside Higenamine. Found in Bitter Orange (a.k.a. Citrus Aurantium), synephrine is structurally similar to the now-banned ephedra. However, unlike ephedra, Synephrine has been proven over and again to be safe and effective for use in individuals.[26,27]
As a Beta-2 and Beta-3 adrenergic receptor agonist[28,29], synephrine liberates stored fatty acids and releases them into the bloodstream, a process known as lipolysis. This enables the body to basically “burn fat for fuel” and spare glycogen stores for intense exercise.
Alpha-yohimbe is a rather powerful stim (as if we need another!) that’s best suited for low doses due to its potency. As you can tell by its position on the label, there’s not a whole lot of it here.
In the body, Alpha-Y operates as a strong alpha-2 antagonist that inhibits fat storage. On top of that, it’s also good for lowering blood pressure and combating hypertension!
Bioperine® is the most well-known brand of this trademarked black pepper extract. Considering the number of ergogenic aids in DVST8, you’re going to need something to ensure every ounce is properly absorbed by the body. Inspired Nutraceuticals maximizes the potential for absorption by including the best form of black pepper extract.
This is a better fat burning powder than most fat burning powders!!
Looking back at those ingredients, you could easily argue that this is a great fat burning powder too. Higenamine, synephrine, DMHA, the caffeine mix, alpha-yohimbine, theobromine, and cocoabuterol’s beta agonists all provide ways for your body to either suppress appetite or mobilize fat (or reduce fat storage).
We have half a mind to make this the top fat burning powder. Even betaine can attribute to body composition improvements!
So if you’re in muscle-building mode, make sure that you don’t forget to eat post-workout after taking DVST8. The energy blend may actually be too effective for bulking bro’s who don’t have huge appetites!
DVST8 White Cut has a rather expansive, and dare we say, interesting lineup of flavors in the most recent iteration of its stellar pre workout. In total, there are five flavors to choose from, including:
- California Gold (Peach Mango)
- Galaxy Pop (Cherry, Lime, and Blue Raspberry)
- Pacific Crus (Blueberry, Coconut, and Citrus)
- Peach Sunrise
- Texas Sweet Tea (Lemon Tea)
So far we’ve had California Gold and Pacific Crush, and we’re loving California Gold the most. CJ claims it tastes like a “white Monster Energy”. Meanwhile, if you’re into strong blueberry flavoring like Mike is, you’ll love Pacific Crush, but California Gold still has our top spot.
No artificial colors!
Inspired Nutra’s taking the stance against nasty artificial colors. No need for them, either, when you have flavors as insane as California Gold and a formula this effective, you don’t need the “mental reminder” of brighter colors.
Well, well, well, if you didn’t think Inspired Nutraceuticals could possibly improve on the beast of pre that was the original DVST8, you were wrong! Not only have they revamped one of our top pre workouts of 2015, but they’ve significantly improved it in several areas! This has been quite the year so far with highly aggressive products hitting the market, and the majority of them are open label too!
So, whether you’re a stim fan or not, you owe it to yourself to grab a tub of DVST8 White Cut, even more so if you are a high stim fan looking for an effectively dosed pre workout! There’s too many other ergogenics contained in here that will have you devastating your workouts in the weight room!
DVST8 - Best Deals and Price Drop Notifications
Get Price Alerts
No spam, no scams.
Like this Post? We have more on the way…
PricePlow is a price comparison site that asks one simple question: is this worth it?
The honest truth lives here. Follow us on social media below:
- Curis E., et. al; “Citrulline and the gut;”; Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care; September 2007
- Giannesini B., et. al.; European Journal of Pharmacology; “Citrulline malate supplementation increases muscle efficiency in rat skeletal muscle;” September 2011
- Perez-Guisado J, Jakeman PM; Journal of Strength and Conditioning; “Citrulline malate enhances athletic anaerobic performance and relieves muscle soreness;” May 2010
- Hickner RC. et. al.; Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise; “L-citrulline reduces time to exhaustion and insulin response to a graded exercise test;“
- Moinard C., et. al.; The British Journal of Nutrition; “Dose-ranging effects of citrulline administration on plasma amino acids and hormonal patterns in healthy subjects: the Citrudose pharmacokinetic study;” April 2008
- Lee EC, et al. Ergogenic effects of betaine supplementation on strength and power performance. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. (2010)
- holewa, J; Effects of betaine on body composition, performance, and homocysteine thiolactone.; Department of Kinesiology, Recreation, and Sport Studies, Coastal Carolina University; 2013
- Effect of betaine supplementation on power performance and fatigue
- del Favero S, et al Creatine but not betaine supplementation increases muscle phosphorylcreatine content and strength performance . Amino Acids. (2012)
- Betaine supplementation enhances anabolic endocrine and Akt signaling in response to acute bouts of exercise.
- Hill, CA et al.; Amino Acids; “Influence of beta-alanine supplementation on skeletal muscle carnosine concentrations and high intensity cycling capacity ;” February 2007
- Kendrick IP, et al.; The effects of 10 weeks of resistance training combined with beta-alanine supplementation on whole body strength, force production, muscular endurance and body composition. Amino Acids. (2008)
- Baguet, A et al.; Journal of Applied Physiology; “Important role of muscle carnosine in rowing performance;” July 2010;” 2005
- Roger C. Harris; et al.; “The effect of a supplement containing β-alanine on muscle carnosine synthesis, ventilatory threshold and exercise capacity in Korean cyclists, during 12 weeks combined endurance and weight training“
- Hoffmann, E.K., I.H. Lambert, and S.F. Pedersen, Physiology of cell volume regulation in vertebrates. Physiol Rev, 2009. 89(1)
- Alford, C., H. Cox, and R. Wescott, The effects of red bull energy drink on human performance and mood. Amino Acids, 2001. 21(2)
- Kalman DS, Feldman S, Krieger DR, Bloomer RJ. Comparison of coconut water and a carbohydrate-electrolyte sport drink on measures of hydration and physical performance in exercise-trained men. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2012;9(1):1-10. doi:10.1186/1550-2783-9-1.
- Kang, YJ, et. al.; “Inhibition of activation of nuclear factor kappaB is responsible for inhibition of inducible nitric oxide synthase expression by higenamine, an active component of aconite root“; The Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics; October 1999
- Bai, G, et. al.; “Identification of higenamine in Radix Aconiti Lateralis Preparata as a beta2-adrenergic receptor agonist“; Acta Pharmacologica Sinica; October 2008
- Kimura, I, et. al.; “Positive chronotropic and inotropic effects of higenamine and its enhancing action on the aconitine-induced tachyarrhythmia in isolated murine atria“; Japanese Journal of Pharmacology; September 1994
- Feng, S, et. al.; “A phase I study on pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of higenamine in healthy Chinese subjects“; Acta Pharmacologica Sinical; November 2012
- HONG LU, XIAOFENG MENG, et.al. ENZYMOLOGY OF METHYLATION OF TEA CATECHINS AND INHIBITION OF CATECHOLO- METHYLTRANSFERASE BY ( )-EPIGALLOCATECHIN GALLATE. Drug Metab Dispos. 2003 May;31(5):572-9
- Ismet, Ara, et al; “Evaluation of Antimicrobial Properties of Two Different Extracts of Juglans regia Tree Bark and Search for Their Compounds Using Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrum”; International Journal of Biology; Vol. 5, No. 2; 2013; Retrieved from http://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/ijb/article/view/25651/15862
- Preuss, HG, et. al; “Citrus aurantium as a thermogenic, weight-reduction replacement for ephedra: an overview;” Journal of Medicine; 2002
- Lobay D. Rauwolfia in the Treatment of Hypertension. Integrative Medicine: A Clinician’s Journal. 2015;14(3):40-46.